Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
    Sorry. Wrong receipt. It was 46£ and got a bit more as spare
    Christ what is it, single malt whisky?!....mine cost me half that and its race stuff from Oilman....25% off at the time of purchasing....

Comment

• Originally posted by europeanme View Post
      Christ what is it, single malt whisky?!...
      I hope so, It'll be a nice pick-me-up in the morning!!
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• 3 liters of castrol. Not even the most expensive stuff. Something in the mid range.

Comment

• Before...
          uploadfromtaptalk1376173881605.jpg

And after..
          uploadfromtaptalk1376173904616.jpg

Rear disc

uploadfromtaptalk1376173924082.jpg

We flushed all brake fluid with less than 1 litre. Plenty to spare/keep.

Comment

• The steering wheel looks great and I imagine it feels amazing for grip too?

Where did you get this re-trimmed and if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost?

Cheers

Tom

Comment

• It cost 150£ at royal steering wheels. Somewhere close to nottingham. They needed 2 weeks turnaround which was great. They did the gear lever to match for 30£

Comment

• I have relocated the EGT sensor from the EM collector to the beginning of the downpipe. Reason being was the hard access to replace it when it went bad.

I can confirm what I used to have seen in the past by using 2 EGT sensors at the same time and that was that on idle you usually get 100-150C difference but as the temps get higher such as high gear cruise or WOT, the differences are minimal. I can see now 680C instead of 780C on 6th and 80mph and it goes to 730C when it used to go to 850C on uphill and part throttle high speeds.

Funilly enough, 6th gear pulls I can see a temp drop when previously on the EM collector I would only see a steady temp value.

Anyway, just though I'd mention that for future reference. I have also altered the safety C on vems for overfuelling.

Comment

• Well, radiator sorted, alternator sorted, BUT the guys forgot to put back a jubillee clip from the exit of the intercooler and the car didn't boost more than 0.5bar. In addition the aluminium intercooler mount snapped on one side but I hope I can get that welded once I go to pick up my radiator next week. Temporarily held on with tireups...

Sorting that out I realised that the bumper mended side with glue after an old break needs attention again and of course there had to be a snapped screw on the fender mount....grrrrr

Temporary fix is ok for now but there you go.. there is always something to keep you going...

Comment

• Update.
                    Aux radiator sent from hella was the 3b one. So it was sent back for the proper one to be sent from Germany. So have to go to them on the 21st and get it done while I also take the intercooler off for welding at the same time.

In the meantime small upgrade of switches. All work except the hazard one but thankfully the caps use the same clips so it matches.
                    uploadfromtaptalk1378546637850.jpg

Finally thanks to Ross I now have a spare top mount configuration with mount savers which is meant to be very reliable. I have pro mounts fitted but as Mance no longer can supply lifetime warranty I had to cover all bases.

uploadfromtaptalk1378546594641.jpg

Comment

• Now that the AUX radiator is done and ready to go on, the main radiator decided to leak so thanks to Pete I got a new one to be fitted. Unfortunately due to BT illness this will be done locally.

On other news, a weird steering rack noise has been reduced but no one can find where it's coming from. I bought a flexible camera cheap so I will also try myself to see if I can locate a culprit, if it starts to act up again.

Awaiting for lots of carbon stuff from Aron and cant wait...

Updated to the latest stable firmware on VEMS and the main important things for me are the faster wide band response, faster boost response, better trigger control which means I could get away with the occasional misfire I got on logs over 6500rpm+ potentially a gear depended boost control. Next is to make sure the knock control is absolutely robust and I will upgrade to that as well.

Kevin Bembridge's coil over is very nice after living with it for a long time now. Only downside are the non stainless steel sleeves that are being used which means literally days after their installation they become orange from surface rust. I am still hoping that he could make them stainless but I haven't been able to get in touch with him. I'd recommend the coil over suspension like this if you can find Kev to supply the parts!!

Also thanks to Tom my front bumper still lives on to make it another day as the arch mounts had completely come apart and one of the bolts shattered on the fender.

Unfortunately the UK rust bug has been attacking my avant for the last 5+ years and I am now considering alternatives for the future given the fact that restoration may sometimes cost more than finding a rust free vehicle...

Comment

• Try and find somewhere that will cadmium plate the strut sleeves, its used a lot on aerospace and military. Its also not going to cause galvanic issues with the ally parts
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks for that. I'll do some search

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                            Unfortunately the UK rust bug has been attacking my avant for the last 5+ years and I am now considering alternatives for the future given the fact that restoration may sometimes cost more than finding a rust free vehicle...
                            What are you looking at doing? Finding a clean car and re shell?
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                              What are you looking at doing? Finding a clean car and re shell?
                              pretty much...

being a bit hypochondriac really as my car has only been in the UK for 5+years whereas all of your cars have been here all their lifetime. However, there is a chance given and as i like to keep the car as a weekend car one day and not have it sustain all the daily use (i have been enjoying that quite a lot already), the plan is to keep all parts that can go into a good well kept bare shell which in its turn have any kind of reinforcements or anything done to it to maintain its good life.

Comment

• Are you thinking of sticking with an avant or switch to a saloon?

It would be nice to totally prep a shell, but a lot of work.
                                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X