No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anything that comes sooner and cheaper. I don't think i will go to the extent of spending loads of money on it though. So long as it has not been crushed before, all i want to do is take my time and strip one, see if it needs painting as painters will need less work to do if its stripped, then strip mine and exchange stuff. I suppose this is a future project, but if a chance comes along id like to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
      Now that the AUX radiator is done and ready to go on, the main radiator decided to leak so thanks to Pete I got a new one to be fitted. Unfortunately due to BT illness this will be done locally.
      done locally by you of course.....

you obviously got home without any probs then Vas....

Have you got an idea when the carbon trim is going to be with you?....I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.....

Comment

• I have got the cam cover to fit with the radiators on Tuesday. Then Aron is preparing a package for me so I believe in 2-3 weeks tops.

Comment

• Just went out with the old girl to make a new log on the latest vems firmware. Did a 3d and 4th gear pull on my usual areas. ..

VDR says I'm doing pretty much the same power figures as almost more than 2 years ago when Brian rebuilt my engine. 3d gear downhill was reading 450whp and 4th gear uphill the opposite direction was 373whp. It's nowhere near a flat spot so hence the large variations. However I did notice my mixtures going a bit on the rich side (0.78) and this was adjusted.

Last thing I noticed was a bit of white smoke from the right hand side of the engine after the second pull and when I pulled over I noticed that the expansion tank had sprayed some coolant at that side, but not enough to reduce the coolant level at all. I had topped the level recently to see what happens when the main radiator leak was noticed. Could this be overflow?
          Top nut on the main radiator did not give any air.

Also log showed no individual cylinder issues to be worried of a head gasket.

2 years down the line I suppose this cannot be arp bolt torque, right?

Comment

• It does sound like your head gasket is on it's way out,
            get a sniff test done.

Comment

• Sniff test?

And by the way, why would the head gasket be on its way out if the car has never overheated, never knocked, never been under any enormous pressure? Of course I could only think of a bad component. Anything else? Car hasn't done more than 10k miles on this gasket
              Last edited by A80Avant; 23 November 2013, 19:35.

Comment

• Yes a 'sniff test', it is a machine that 'sniffs' for combustion gasses in the coolant and thus can determine if the head gasket is leaking.

Comment

• You could try this, but I'd try a new expansion bottle cap first

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Block-test...item2a27fba9b0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A6...item2c6f8fd579
                  sigpic
                  1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                  1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                  1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Thanks chaps. Will try those

Comment

• Small update:

Bought the kit Andy suggested as well as a new cap. However even before I tried anything of the above I did some more runs and everything was actually ok. So my most likely conclusion of overflowing the coolant level seemed more plausible.

Today I did the sniff test after both rads were replaced as that was planned anyway and the test was negative for a gasses in the coolant level. Very nice test and I'd recommended to anyone. However make sure you don't leave it more than a minute or so on the engine as the instructions state that engine needs to be warm enough to enable the thermostat and then left on for 1 minute.

Unlike what you tube videos suggest, if the fluid goes from blue to green that doesn't mean a problem. Instructions state that fluid needs to become yellow. I did the test leaving the kit on from cold start till warm so about good 7-8 minutes and eventually the water became blue - green. Then I re did the test again leaving it for only 1 minute it stayed blue.

So thanks again forum for suggesting all those good advice
                      Attached Files

Comment

• What spring rate and length have you chosen finally for the rears?

Comment

• For the rears I went for 10 inch 315 lbs.
                          You could also go stiffer than that to allow for more height adjustment. I would choose 325 of their shelf if I were buying them now.

Did you manage yo get in touch with Bambridge by any chance? I am still chancing him for an extra spare set of front sleeves but cannot get hold of him I'm afraid.

Comment

• Not yet, I'll write him later, I'am on a calculation stage so far. Thanks for the figures.I want to try +20% over stock stiffness. It's 250/360. By my calcs this is right figures for front vs rear Resonant Freq. and more oversteer. 1,6 hz vs 1,81hz.

Comment

• If you do, let me know. I may have to order a set of sleeves through you!

Comment

• Small update
                                just started collecting parts for a summer service. Bought from audi tradition the original ADU water pump for silly money but at least now I will have 2 ADU pumps and bearings with 26 teeth. Hopefully in the future I can swap the sprocket for a cheaper pump and be ok. Also bought the timing belt as well.

car is running fine but there is a chance that in April I may get a quattro saloon in Greece for a future rs2 sedan project only if the price is right down there. I do have some on going issues which hopefully won't leave me stranded till the summer time as some noises are getting louder from the suspension/steering area. What I'd like to end up with is a good running gear to fully transfer to the saloon and get a second car for everyday while the rs2 becomes what it deserves, a weekend fun car.

Comment

Working...
                                X