No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suspect the misalignment of the belt must have caused a wear on the clip and broke it. At least that's good news in a way as this pump may still be easily refurbished. Can you do it?

Comment

• They are easy to rebuild, you need a press to get the pulley boss off the shaft - or a hydraulic gear puller. A normally puller will not do it unless it is a beast (I put about 5 tons on mine to get it off the shaft )
      There is no bearing for the shaft, it runs in the housing so that might be worn, plus the internals might be damaged - you'll need to check. If there is any dmage or wear, may as well throw it away and get another pump, they are very common across B4/B5 platform.
      Make sure you use a genuine ZF seal kit or the shaft seal will leak.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I'll ask Brian otherwise I do have a shop that rebuilds them.

Thanks

Comment

• Here is a little video as well

Comment

• Ah so it was the shaft coming out of the pump, hopefully you can take the pump apart and fit a new circlip!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
              Ah so it was the shaft coming out of the pump, hopefully you can take the pump apart and fit a new circlip!
              Haha. If I had time I would give it a go. But for now I can't even take the pump off the car myself! I'm useless

Comment

• Problem solved.

The bracket was modified and the refurbished pump was used. All good now.

Thanks for the quick answers!

Comment

• Did you strip the pump to see what was up with it?
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Not yet. I have it in my trunk ready to be sent for refurb. Are you interested in doing that?

Comment

• Thanks Brian.

After another big service the car is running very nice again. Lots of niggles fixed and a few that were only revealed.

Comment

• Looks good
                        I missed your post above. I'm happy to have a look at the pump, I wouldn't want to promise a refurb as it sounds like its had a hard time!
                        The rebuild kits are only about ÂŁ15
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Glad you got the rad cover trimmed... Looks good
                          Audi Nut!!!

Comment

• I gave the pump to have it rebuilt. Indeed that was what had broken inside and hopefully now I have a spare. We also did your trick with the water pump. ABY pump and ADU wheel bearing.

Car feels very well planted in the front now and I had the tracking done locally so everything is well.

I'm a bit disappointed with the result of the 3 inch cat back though.

One the shop used mild steel for welding and used spray paint to avoid rust!!! Who in their right full mind do that in the UK. In Greece it's fine. We never have rain or snow to need salt on the road. Here it will rot in months.

Secondly the rear resonator is tiny and the noise between 2200 to 3200 rpm is so loud that it's unbearable to drive in cruising speeds in a decent speed. You have to constantly be above 3200rpm and use 5th gear or use earplugs.
                            It's giving me a headache so I don't even want to think what the wife and children will have to endure. + earplugs for me once I hear the rant.!!!

So I'm having the rear and maybe the middle resonator replaced locally with bigger ones in hope to cure the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                              One the shop used mild steel for welding and used spray paint to avoid rust!!! Who in their right full mind do that in the UK. In Greece it's fine. We never have rain or snow to need salt on the road. Here it will rot in months.
                              What! I'd be taking it back if I were you, while they are cutting it apart and welding it with the correct consumables, they can replace the rear silencer
                              sigpic
                              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• I don't trust the shop has good type resonators to do the trick Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X