No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

downpipe is done. No flexi pipe on the wastegate was available to mount as its too short, so we only fitted one on the right tube 60mm going to the right cat.

it should be ok.

received today another goodridge fitting, 130deg, some cutters for the alloy sheet and getting the hydraulic hose likely on tuesday.

A few things to do then this weekend....

Comment

so your making a cold air divider.

im off to the lab to see if there is any coolwall about. you know the stuff that toasters are made from so the outside is cold when its cooking your toast.

Comment

elaborate please!

do you mean by covering the open airfilter im potentially making the turbine/downpipe area get even hotter by reflecting the heat back there?

i was thinking of getting a shield made then covered with 2 layers of heat reflectors and sound dampening. Even as it is, which is a small mock up, it worked well keeping the air filter heat free from the turbo/downpipe.

Also from the smaller Aux rad, there is enough room left over to go underneath the EM for cooling purposes.I should be fine i think.
        Last edited by A80Avant; 7 May 2010, 14:49.

Comment

coolwall is a technology used n toasers and some kettles that allows the outside surface to not get hot whilst theinside is boiling or burning bread.

so in car terms the engine side gets hot whilst the filter side never gets over ambient.

Comment

aha! now i got you. Im hoping to do that with all those heat sheilds...

Comment

it can be created to a level.

you need some plastic sleeves to spacer rivots. 2 sheets of metal spit by 3-6mm with non conducting connections. it gets costly adding insulation.

i have no shield currently as i dont need it where my filter resides.

Comment

Interesting where do you have the filter?

"i have no shield currently as i dont need it where my filter resides"

Comment

down front about where the aircon pupm would be. some of its behind the wagner IC most is above.

i run the tubular wich pulls things away from the engine more. used to have less heat in there when the old manifold was wrapped.

its final mot prep this weekend so i will try to take some pics and start a samll thread on stuff.

Comment

Pic's would be great. What type / make of filter is it?

Comment

if i remember correctly it looked like a large KN cone.

i still have the A/C there so no room. only other area is behind the oil cooler but that is not always good

Comment

Vaz, When will you get the ring for the Turbo from Turbo Dynamics? Very interested to see what it does and if it affects power.

Comment

was delivered today but the caretaker did not leave it at my doorstep.Might have it 1st thing in the morning

Comment

Cool. Can you take some pics before you fit it?

Looking forward to hearing if it works.

Comment

sure will

Comment

Well here are the photos of the silencer...

and on the turbo looks like...:

Hey looks like the HTA now!!

i havent tried it yet though.

The alloy version of the airfilter gave way to the triple deck heat resistant barrier which is easier to take off and put on and i believe does the same job. Too many hoses around that area and the alloy sheet did not really work out.(obviously im a complete novice at this and impatient, but...

The brake hose was also fitted and brake pedal seems better now. Will do more tests throughout the weekend.
                                It gave me a really hard time to bolt it back to the brakebomb as some threads didnt catch at all, but after a couple of hours it worked.

Only the antirattle shims on one brake caliper remain now and hopefully that should cover any car related issues for a good while...

Comment

Working...
                                X