No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• with some latest modifications in the map, im getting borderline EGTs now which makes me think twice about putting one of these things on...

Comment

• im not sure vas.

in theory it should run cooler.

the idea of thermal insulation is to keep gas velocity. the gases are at their hottest on combustion. from this point on they lose temps as they travel from head to exhaust.

keeping the gases hot should in reality help egt as it helps the scavenge effect of temperature.

i think this is where the wrap and blankets come in.

no i wrapped the first wagner tubes i had. saw no real improvement. i feel it may be best not to wrap the header to blanket the turbo and wrap the first metre of the downpipe. we want the hot side to stay that way to a degree and to get rid of gases soon as possible. this in turn should help egt.

now how we see the changes is the issue. if we measure at the port then maybe a reduction will be seen if we measure after the hotside we may not see a reduction but a stabilization of temps as the housing doesn't cool and reheat the same.

thats my views, make sense?

Comment

• i think the reason shops have them anders is that they are cheap to make, good profit, no fitting expertise, no combacks from customer, impossible to relate damage to blanket.

they look better than rusty iron too.

Comment

• my EGT sensor is on the EM collector at the moment and as a guide i use mixtures in the same manner i did when the sensor was on the turbo hotside(roughly 2cm difference).

if i cover the turbine, that would then possibly reduce the EGTs according to your theory, because exhaust gasses will be eliminated faster. BUT if i leave the downpipe exposed, that is where the temps of the gasses drop faster and therefore stall them. So in effect, could i be seeing higher EGTs because of a gas 'blockage' further down the downpipe?

all theories here...!!

Comment

• thats the theory. i dont actually think the beanie on its own would do much. its part of the whole equation. the same reasons we go big downpipe and can use smaller end sections.

not wrapping the downpipe will just reduce the effects. the beanie man help the likes of me and you on 0.63 hotsides negate the effects of not going 0.82 to an extent.

yuo wouldn't see higher. maybe jsut not the improvement expected. the gases wont stop they will just start to cool faster.

i now got a cat. i gotta work the DP and whathaveyou to fit it in. i will fit the beanie and wrap the first metre and leave the headers unwrapped and see how it goes. i know what you will find is a cooler engine bay by far.

on this type of thing i feel its the whole lot or not at all.

heat also helps spool and boost build so the advantages are not only on egt reduction.

Comment

• another thing that i have to mention is that i see higher Inlet manifold temperatures and heat soak related issues with the reverse inlet manifold. The temps go way down on driving conditions, but when stationary or the engine going off for a little while, temps rise rapidly. The OEM did not have this problem and it might be due to thicker alloy used(?). I thought of using a phenolic spacer, but it wouldnt fit with the IM going too close to the bonnet...

Comment

• the sensor is getting heatsoak?phelonic would help maybe then

this is often a problem. also is it the stock sensor. its known to not be as good as say the merc one or the 1.8t one.

Comment

• Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                  i think the reason shops have them anders is that they are cheap to make, good profit, no fitting expertise, no combacks from customer, impossible to relate damage to blanket.

they look better than rusty iron too.
                  That may well be, but I have noticed almost all the pro I5's (and other high hp $$$ builds) have turbo blankets or thick heat shields around the hotside in addition to a wrapped DP, so there have to be some logic in it if so many runs that setup.
                  I've also had a few diffrent of them in my hands, and there is a bit diffrence in the thickness/insulation between the diffrent blankets as in the quality feel (and the brands have diffrent heat limits for them also), but im pretty sure they all do a good job.

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                  thats the theory. i dont actually think the beanie on its own would do much. its part of the whole equation. the same reasons we go big downpipe and can use smaller end sections.

not wrapping the downpipe will just reduce the effects. the beanie man help the likes of me and you on 0.63 hotsides negate the effects of not going 0.82 to an extent.

yuo wouldn't see higher. maybe jsut not the improvement expected. the gases wont stop they will just start to cool faster.

i now got a cat. i gotta work the DP and whathaveyou to fit it in. i will fit the beanie and wrap the first metre and leave the headers unwrapped and see how it goes. i know what you will find is a cooler engine bay by far.

on this type of thing i feel its the whole lot or not at all.

heat also helps spool and boost build so the advantages are not only on egt reduction.
                  I totally agree, Its the whole lot, not just the blanket alone that will give you better results.
                  I have done just like you say, leave the ceramic coated em alone, fitted a blanket and wrapped the DP + all the way to the 2nd silencer.

Also in my fitting instructions they say that you should keep the blanket a loose fit, and not tight it with 'all you got' (like the wrappingband) to retain the heat better(?).
                  Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

• @ Gazza,

phenolic spacer would not allow fitment due to the closeness of the bonnet unfortunatelly...

Comment

• its the stock sensor, but its perfect for comparison with the previous setup

Comment

• Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                        the sensor is getting heatsoak?phelonic would help maybe then

this is often a problem. also is it the stock sensor. its known to not be as good as say the merc one or the 1.8t one.
                        You can't fit one those spacers with a reverse manifold, I tried

Would need a very small one, the ones for sale are about 8mm and too think

Comment

• I have the 034 8mm phenolic spacer fitted to my s2 avant on the wagner reverse manifold. Had to mod the bonnet a little on the underside. But fits fine

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post

phenolic spacer would not allow fitment due to the closeness of the bonnet unfortunatelly...

Comment

• can you post a photo of the bonnet modification? that would be a nice solution for me!!

thanks

Comment

• Couple of pics of the bonnet mod.

Needs finishing with tiger seal and the trim doesn't need to be cut back this much.

Final picture is a closeup detail of the 034 spacer.

Comment

• do you have to modify the injectors in any way?
                                i mean the way they sit now, are higher than normal. does that play any role?

Comment

Working...
                                X