No announcement yet.

Audi 80 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the hottest air is at the top of the engine bay whatever happens.

fitting it lower can only be better.

i have a 90 with a cut and an insert to make mabe 80 then a pipe and a join and the filter. bout 18 inches of pipe max. no power zapping cooling systems just a sweaty **** in summer.

Comment

• i could try it in the future. I might try and see differences with the HKS as well, since its a straight fit. I also have an apexi one, but i bet its as restrictive as the KN one. As i say, if i make a few less hp, thats ok. I may get something in the future to try out, but i would like to have good measurements first so that i dont end up spending lots of $$$

Comment

• it can cost loads.

i tried a hks. it was the first i tried as my mate had a couple left from the subaru days. fit was not great. they are good filters though.

the unifilter was a passing comment from a mate was is an old junk skip. IIRC he had some bits off a WRC car he was making a bumper mould from a desert rally car to fit his impreza. if fitted almost straight in. pure luck really.

having has a G60 corrado where filters are the be all and end all im not too fussy anymore. i never blew a charger on that so turbos are like bullet proof.

looking good in there now vas. i need to do more with mine now. just not sure i got it in me anymore.

Comment

• im planning to take it to higher boost levels this weekend using the knock cable marc sent me. Ill plug the perfomance box as well...

it appears that i only need to keep the timing low up to 4000rpm and then gradually take it higher.

so far though, i have only seen 920C or something on 1.6bar@7000rpm so nice!!
          Last edited by A80Avant; 10 May 2010, 10:55.

Comment

• wheres the probe?

have you measured losses between say the engine side of the collector and the downpipe.

i have never seen the 900's at all but im after the turbo. i add 100 to be safe so maybe just touching the 900's at 1.9bar. i got some mwork to do though.

Comment

• probe is on th em collector!

Comment

• heat cover

and downpipe

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                  By the way, for people wanting to use VEMS to control boost with the 034 stiff spring (1.9bar) and heavy duty N75, by using reference of the valve 3/5 rather than 4/5 and a few more tweaks it works accuratelly
                  Cheers for that, could you post a pic of the settings?

Also does your car oscillate on hitting the defined boost limit? I'm having that problem and think it's related to the Vems setup although I haven't really looked into yet since i've been remapping VE due to an injector change.

Comment

• when looking through the logs, it is never bang on excact, but it does fiddle between the second decimal figure, so i wouldnt really regard that as oscillation.

On the 1.1.27 my settings go more or less :16ms-3/5-98kpa-map target-offset=2.

Then PID settings are user defined depending on setup/turbo/wastegate spring/turbo size etc.

P: higher it is, the faster the boost will rise BUT will give a hefty spike as well
                    I: the higher it is, the more the boost oscillates before reaching designated value
                    D: the higher it is, the more boost stays high on higher revs (esp with small turbos or high backpressure)

The above are only from my experience with 3071/holset/3076 turbos.

I have PID now set to : 245-5-55.

it does produce a small spike so that can be cured by reducing the boost on lower revs and it will run ok.
                    Problem with this setup is that higher gears may go over the boost limit (due to higher load) if the D from PID is too high. I havent had the chance to test this yet, so the D may come down a bit.

You still end up with a bit of a drop in boost in 3d gear and then holding boost on higher gears.(which is why gear depended boost might be easier on the new firmwares i suppose)

Comment

• Cheers I'll look into that as my PID is way lower than that set at 40-40-60

The boost mechanisms have totally changed in the newer firmwares TBH they've removed a lot of it and replaced it with a new method. I'll have to data log and look into it

Comment

• as i said, make any changes gradually and use a boost cut control early on so that you dont get a spike of boost going through the roof or something!

Comment

• thank the auto god for boost controllers.

ive BTDT on ecu boost and never intend to go back.

Comment

• i know! haha, we like it the hard way!

although the idea of simply switching from a safe/valet mode to my high boost application is always intriguing!

Comment

• Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                              thank the auto god for boost controllers.

ive BTDT on ecu boost and never intend to go back.
                              Boost controller did the same BTW plus boost builds quicker on the VEMS control and 4 port solenoid than boost controller.

Just need to iron the kinks out, anyhow for another thread that discussion

Comment

• they are all ebc i suppose be it vems or dedicated.

i have seen these fluctuastions before on certain boost controllers.

soem are very easy t oget tohit and hold others not so easy.

one even required manual tweaking with screws. it was supposed to be a beast when working well though.

the eboost and the profec b are both easy setup easy hit and hold.

id do appreciate the dedication towards a good result all in one box for simplicity purposes but fact is its not as good as a dedicated "expert" in this area.

the only fluctuations i have hever had was with the n75 on motronic. hence why the eboost arrived among the first items.

the safe valet other modes can be done on eboost too. 6 boost groups IIRC.

on another note. that turkey foil in the engine bay vas. i dont use any. never any issues with heat. i still got the original bits on the chassis seems but other wise only the bonnet has the heat pads. do you find you need it?

Comment

Working...
                                X