No announcement yet.

UrS4 2.2T Avant project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep sure. Pays your money take your choice.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
      Ok, so the fuel/IAT correction will be always in use... I remember last time on dyno the tuner was astonished that suddenly the engine started to go lean in the upper end. We was thinking about the fuel temps, tank and pumps was really hot. But it may be this setting that started to take over..? This is factory setting, I havn't touched it because I was thinking it's just for engine start(heat soak adjusment). And now I have had lambda correction up to the redline so it hasn't gone lean even at 100C IAT.

I think I will set the correction to zero and take few dyno runns with the lambda off and see how it behaves.
      This correction is useless with E85.
      Anyone with experience tuning E85 knows that

As I said before - the IAT sensor is in the wrong place, before the fuel hits the manifold, so you can throw the reading out of the window. For sure there should not be any corrections from that sensor.

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
      I don't trust maha dynos. They always increase the brake on high powered cars and they produce huge torque with cap power figures. So I don't know how hard that pushes the engine as well.
      Doesn't matter what dyno you use, you can set the ramp rate. The dyno does not do anything by itself.
      Being ill-informed and then bashing the dyno is really not smart.
      Maha dynos are one of the best in the business, end of.

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
      Yea, the run feeled like it took forever, I was thinking that the engine will not survive and that was just what happend. You look at the boost gauge, 3 bar has been there for a while, how much longer will it hold... PUFF!!!

Nothing close to real life stress on the engine. Another negative thing with such a hard brake was that when the rpm's rised so slow some resonaces and vibrations did like multiply and feeled really hard, that caused a trigger erreor a couple of times, what havn't happend on street or track.
      I have done a 35 second pull on a dyno on 2.2T (preparations for 1 mile race).
      680hp, 700nm and no problems with the engine blowing up. 98 RON, WMI.
      Did you time how long the pull was? Normal pulls are 15-20 seconds. If the engine can not tolerate this, it will not tolerate a prolonged WOT period on the street (given an adequate dyno with adequate cooling of course).

Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
      But fuel economy!!!!
      Irrelevant on WOT...
      But I never had problems with EGT on E85. No point to run it that rich. I don't think it is possible to melt anything on E85, except for pre-ignition.

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
      But then there is also a risk of flushing the bores.
      Not on WOT there ain't!

I am rooting for you - but the last few pages of this thread made me cringe...
      I will just say - experience is the most important thing here. Both with E85 and with 2.2T in general.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Maha dynos and any dynos are instruments. If you don't know how to use them then you are useless even if the intrument is brilliant. I agree but I have yet to see 1 maha owner that knows what they are doing with the machine or any dyno results that have meaning on a 4 wheel drive high powered car for that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
          Maha dynos and any dynos are instruments. If you don't know how to use them then you are useless even if the intrument is brilliant. I agree but I have yet to see 1 maha owner that knows what they are doing with the machine.
          Can't blame the machine when it is being operated by a monkey.

P.S. I have personal experience with operating a Maha dyno and you can set the pull to be as long or as short as you desire.

Comment

• I'll agree to that sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
              The IAT is irrelevant. You are measuring it in the wrong place.
              The timing pull is also irrelevant for this same very reason and should not even be used.

The real IAT is when the E85 hits the IM from the injector and cools the temperature down by 50C or more

Isn't this the case with any IAT though? Are you saying that because of E85s latent heat capacity you can't realistically generate an intake temp that will cause problems?
              So with E85 the IAT sensor really should only need to be used to calculate air mass?
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Isn't this the case with any IAT though? Are you saying that because of E85s latent heat capacity you can't realistically generate an intake temp that will cause problems?
                Gasoline does not cool nearly as much as E85 does. So you can use the IAT there, but on E85 it's irrelevant.
                This is also why E85 at richer AFR's does not hurt performance - it cools the air even more, so that offsets the performance penalty from richer mix.

So with E85 the IAT sensor really should only need to be used to calculate air mass?
                Can't calculate air mass from it - again for that you need a sensor that would be somewhere in the port.

It is very different tuning on E85 than on other fuels.
                Easiest with a MAF of course...

Comment

• Of course the engine should hold everything. Like full load and boost for an hour. My didn't hold for a minute, I fully understand that is just my fault, bad engine and or not so optimal software. But in the end this engine has hold for quite long time and got some abuse and with not always so good mapping. It's just an engine build out of "scrap" parts, incl. used rings, bearings and gaskets... There are not many times you can make 5th gear WOT to redline on street, so I have never tested it before. 4th gear WOT has been tested and the engine did hold that, but that takes propably 5sec from 3rd gear shift.

I didn't clock the dyno pull, but it's the longest one I have ever seen. Usually they have taken about 10-15 sec. This was propably something like 30sec or more.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                  Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                  BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                  BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                    Of course the engine should hold everything. Like full load and boost for an hour. My didn't hold for a minute, I fully understand that is just my fault, bad engine and or not so optimal software. But in the end this engine has hold for quite long time and got some abuse and with not always so good mapping. It's just an engine build out of "scrap" parts, incl. used rings, bearings and gaskets... There are not many times you can make 5th gear WOT to redline on street, so I have never tested it before. 4th gear WOT has been tested and the engine did hold that, but that takes propably 5sec from 3rd gear shift.
                    1 minute is a very long time. 1 minute means the engine is autobahn-proof.
                    30 seconds is enough for anything you CAN do outside a german autobahn in early morning hours with no traffic.

I didn't clock the dyno pull, but it's the longest one I have ever seen. Usually they have taken about 10-15 sec. This was propably something like 30sec or more.
                    30 sec it should hold if you want to go for 1 mile race.

Comment

• Yes. Unlucky I didn' even get power figures above 5krpm. At some point the risk of breaking stock pistons is also rising.

The plot was promising, but cuts out just when it starts to happen something... But as you see, all plots cuts at ~5krpm(tested 3 different boost modes), so they didn't know how to use the dyno. I didn't see the screen properly as I was sitting on the right seat.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Even in germany we dont pull wot that long. An 600hp car needs arround 20sek from 100kmh to topspeed. If topspeed is reached, we let off throttle.

https://youtu.be/LxcurgDQob8

If E85 is used, u dont need strong IAT IGN correction. Just do it a little richer if IAT getting worse. EGT will be fine all the way.

If no ethanol is used be carefull with IAT. If IAT getting worse use Gear/Speed depend boost or/and W/M injection before IAT sensor.

Greetings from germany. (its fun)
                        Last edited by Tille; 26 May 2016, 16:48.
                        Audi Coupe Typ89 10V Turbo - VEMS - Billet K26 - Deka 630 - E85 - 3" Exhaust

Comment

• Spark plug number 1 looked normal, the rest was soaked in oil. Took the head off and a quick look told the head was ok, but then the cylinders and pistons... Number 5 looks strange, what do you think..? Have to take apart the bottom end before I can say if the other pistons are ok. The cylinder wall has a damage so need to change the block.

The 5th cylinder spark plug electrode had lost a small bit, so this may be an glow plug issue... maybe..?

Also the turbo bearing is dead... Again. Some tiny thing has made a small dent on two bleades, but the bearings has been so bad that the wheel has eaten itself on the comp housing. Strange when the other stock HX40S has hold against beating nicely. Well, this turbo will never again sit in this car.

Last edited by Thuppu; 27 May 2016, 13:31.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• So sorry Thomas

Poslato sa G7-L01 uz pomoć Tapatoka

Comment

• It s all happens for the next step, better/perfect setup. Everything will be fine man!!!
                              Audi S6 C4 2.2T Quattro 1997, full rebuild....
                              Audi A5 Sportback V6 2.7 TDI 2011
                              Volkswagen Phaeton V6 3.0 TDI 2009

Comment

• Your right. Now I have to make another engine, before there was no hurry.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                                X