No announcement yet.

UrS4 2.2T Avant project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I get your point, of course the engine stress is bigger with bigger boost levels and more power. If there is one crack after 280k km, it propably works fine another 100k km with some higher boost levels. And full boost isn't used perhaps more than 5% of the overall use after all on a daily driver like this.

Have you checked you head, maybe you have cracks also? It's totally random when they appear. If you put a new crackless head today, you can have craks on it next day...

I don't see a problem with one small crack if it's not too deep. It's well known that small crack don't efect anything on these heads. It's a little bit overkill to change this head to a crackless one at this point.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

when you buy a used head to replace, you have it checked and look for leaks.

the original head on the engine had 3 hairline cracks. We bolted it on the engine again and the car couldnt pass MOT. I bought a used ADU head without any cracks(the one i use now). I have no idea what that head looks like now, but i already have a 7A head without cracks as a spare for porting. I wouldnt take any chances putting a ported head that is cracked on the engine again.

I get your point that if this one has done 280K, it should do another 100K depending on driving and map. Mine had done 130K with an unknown map when i bought it and unknown driving style

Comment

Yeah, I also don't have a clue about the service, usage and driving style before me. Seems that iron wire and duct tape have been favorite service eqipments on this one.

Some day I propably do a whole new engine without any compromises(a stroker maybe?).

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Some small progress with the project... Got the block in the car and we fit the head afterwards. Lots easier to get engine fitted in.

Seems that 25mm head bolt washers fits fine exept two ones that needed some grinding.

Got the cams timed. It was the first time I have done it. Had a problem when I didn't know how to adjust/time the hall-window. But I got the info from "porkkis" so I did get all timed after all... I hope..?

Had to try fitting the turbo also to see how it suits the engine bay.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Ok, I gave the whole day for the car. It's soon fully asembled, only some small adjustments, and need to fit the radiator and intercooler before engine start. Cant either remember how these connectors should be plugged..?

This is the look for now:

The downpipe need some alinement, cutting and welding to fit properly. The turbo hot side is bigger than the old one so the DP needs to be 15mm longer and the v-band needs to be fitted on.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Nice update, like the exhaust manifold.
              Can you explain to me how you got the cams timed? Did you locate Top Dead Center first or did you alter timing based on standard timing of the cams (with adjustable cam pulley in '0' position) ?

Comment

Yes, I located the dead center(cyl 1 on highest position) first without the head and mark it on the table on the damper. When the head and cams was fitted on, I measured specific lift(some overlap) for both ex- and in-cam with the crank in dead center position. Got measures for these cams that has been proven good. Will see how they work on this setup...

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

... and are you willing to share the cam timing you are going to try? :mischeif:

Comment

Lets say it's a custom setup with non stock cams developed by a Finnish guy...

Here is a couple of pics that shows the idea of the breather system. One 30mm hose directly from the block and two AN12 hoses from the valvecover breaths thru a oil separator. Oil return from the separator goes to the oilpan with a AN12 hose. Time shows will the system need a catch can or can it breath directly to the athmosphere from the oil separator.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

nice project..
                      I look your project all the time.. but I don't have enough word to say..
                      perfect..

Comment

Thanks, appreciate!

Here is lot's of amazing projects like the 'SWB Quattro Project' and others... You need to have a really thick wallet for that kind of project. My is a quite low budget, "realistic" project that is possible to accomplish almost of every one.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I saw that you don't have 10k euro ready for your s4. and it is not the point. you are the same like I'm..
                          you will have same hp car like someone who did it in few month, you will need one year. It is not the problem.. power of will is important
                          keep go on..

Comment

Got the downpipe welded today and wrapped up.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Ok, engine is running and first drive is made. Changed the oils and filter after the first warmup usage.

There is some issues with the idle. After throttle the revs continues to jump up and down til the engine stops. Had this trouble before also bun now with a light flywheel it seems to do it a lot easier.

Have also a issue with the Rosten camwheel: http://koti.mbnet.fi/pro-ht/Audi_URS...ar-running.mp4 I suppose this is not normal?

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

nice build

unplug the ISV when the engine is warm to check if that solves the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X