This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well....

It was going great at Brands hatch last month, putting in good times finally got over all the little niggles and had a set up that I was confident with. Maybe alittle too stiff for going over paddock hill but I had started coming off the roll bars in the morning.

And then the oil pump belt snapped by the time I had seen the dash lights I was already into Druids and data shows it went down paddock hill.

So I made a nice garden feature cranky the dog

New engine is under way just waiting for a Rod and one of Issams fancy fluid dampers so I can move my dry sump belt out of the timming belt and running a thicker belt and a guard.
    Chef

Comment

• Balls. I know the feeling as mine has just ate the bottom end too. Sorry man.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Love the dog dude
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• That is one expensive damn dog!

What all got munched/was salvageable?
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Lost the block, 1 rod, 1 crank
            Chef

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
              Balls. I know the feeling as mine has just ate the bottom end too. Sorry man.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk
              Ah that sucks!

Spun a bearing?
              Chef

Comment

• At least sense of humour has not failed - cranky the dog will take some beating.
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• I had wondered what has happened as it went quiet on fb.

Does the ecu not have a facility to trip to limp or all off in such a scenario ? We use a oil pressure trip based on tps and rpm and it saved the engine at round 2 when the pump pressure dropped at high rpm. The only thing understandably you would still need to do is dip the clutch to stop the engine rotating.

On cars in the past that haven't had that option I've just used an adjustable oil pressure switch rigged up to a large shift light mounted off the cage.

Glad it's all getting sorted though and sounds like your getting to grips with the car now

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonnybravo View Post
                    I had wondered what has happened as it went quiet on fb.

Does the ecu not have a facility to trip to limp or all off in such a scenario ? We use a oil pressure trip based on tps and rpm and it saved the engine at round 2 when the pump pressure dropped at high rpm. The only thing understandably you would still need to do is dip the clutch to stop the engine rotating.

On cars in the past that haven't had that option I've just used an adjustable oil pressure switch rigged up to a large shift light mounted off the cage.

Glad it's all getting sorted though and sounds like your getting to grips with the car now
                    In hindsight yes there is a value i can set from the oil pressure into the ecu, and there is a high water one to so will be setting and testing both.

Yeah its a slight learning curve but if your not doing it you not learning. Dales times are nice and quick keep up the good work James
                    Chef

Comment

• Hindsight is a wonderful thing ! It's worth sorting though, that and fuel pressure is another that's helped us in the past 2 years.

Hopefully a fair bit more to come from Dales yet, quite confident it can drop into the 48's with some time spent on setup, typically it's not going as quick on the proper suspension as it was on the borrowed buddy clubs which had the damping adjusters snapped off and we had no idea on the spring rates! Back there at the end of the month though and then a couple of rounds at snetterton which I'm looking forward too

Comment

• 48's is where it's at, I am stuck at high 49',50s I think with the boost turned up from 1.2bar I should see a 48 something but I need alittle work on my driving.
                        Last edited by terrybullwon; 19 July 2016, 10:52.
                        Chef

Comment

• That's still fast! We only really have performance to come from handling as the engines restricted and next year it will be further restricted so we definitely must work on the handling. Brakes work well now though so that's a bit of confidence back. I expect yours is going to get very fast if your not pushing the engine yet

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonnybravo View Post
                            That's still fast! We only really have performance to come from handling as the engines restricted and next year it will be further restricted so we definitely must work on the handling. Brakes work well now though so that's a bit of confidence back. I expect yours is going to get very fast if your not pushing the engine yet
                            Next time you go testing maybe we could arrange something would be good to have another fast car to follow. I might learn something. Also thinking of putting in a 2nd seat as I have a couple of offers of driver coaching which would help.
                            Chef

Comment

• 2 corners I feel a lot of time can be had is Graham hill and Clearways, having watched some of the incar footage from the SVA car you can see how soon they get on the power compared to Dale, I guess arguably like yourself we are limited by using ex btcc tyres and a set of new softs alone could put you straight in the 48's but you have to manage the costs somewhere!

That's the only 49sec lap I have a video for, it did a 49.4 on its first outing so it would be nice to get back to that

https://youtu.be/yc8Og_0v8x0

Comment

• Won't let me quote off my phone.

We don't do much testing as 2 race series is enough but we have spoken about doing a day at brands to get it properly dialled in. Driver coaching is without doubt the best way, we all have something to learn, maybe a bit or maybe a lot but it's definitely worth the cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X