• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quattro-nick View Post
    FOX exhaust?
    Yep. Looks good.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by V6quattro View Post
      I also had somtimes problems welding alu. I got a gas-lens kit for my torch and did a little welding with it and it looked very promising! Maybe worth a try as they are cheap.

Regular gas lense is pretty useless, stubby gas lense is the way to go. Basically it enables the 26/17 type aircooled torches to use smaller 9 type cups, also the full setup becomes a lot smaller while performing better tha standard setup. One rough test i tried, regular gas nozzle killed my 1.6mm tungsten at 90A, with Gas lense 120A was not a problem for 1.6mm tungsten.

Idea i have failed to follow so far is to get a flexible cable 9F type torch, it is more than enough for automotive stuff while beeing smaller and cheaper than 17/26 parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zoig View Post
        Regular gas lense is pretty useless, stubby gas lense is the way to go. Basically it enables the 26/17 type aircooled torches to use smaller 9 type cups, also the full setup becomes a lot smaller while performing better tha standard setup. One rough test i tried, regular gas nozzle killed my 1.6mm tungsten at 90A, with Gas lense 120A was not a problem for 1.6mm tungsten.

Idea i have failed to follow so far is to get a flexible cable 9F type torch, it is more than enough for automotive stuff while beeing smaller and cheaper than 17/26 parts.
        Thanks for the information. This tig welding lark isn't at all easy. So many things need to be right.

Comment

• Changed to a smaller tig torch and new filler rods. Its still not pretty but some of it doesn't look a complete mess, just bad. Anyhow it's mostly finished. Used almost a full bottle of argon in 13 hours of welding.

Comment

• Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• nice progress
              your welding skills are like mine,a lot of grindingwork
              audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
              TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
              AEM W/M injection

Comment

• Originally posted by quattro-nick View Post
                nice progress
                your welding skills are like mine,a lot of grindingwork
                Yea the grinder and stainless steel brush sees a lot of work. I am really struggling with this tig welding. I'm ok at mma and mug. No expert but I can stick weld 1.6mm wall stainless pipe and it's ok which I thought took some skill but this alloy tig is a different level. Its very frustrating. How can it be so hard.

Comment

• i know your frustation,i wanted to weld my exhaust with my tig but even rvs was difficult for me
                  audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                  TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                  AEM W/M injection

Comment

• TIG is hard to get right, there are a lot of variables and coordination.
                    Looking at the pics, make sure the ally is perfectly clean & you have removed all oxide before you start.

Have a look at this site:
                    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

A lot of info and great tips to improve your technique. Plus the guy Jody is pretty funny
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      TIG is hard to get right, there are a lot of variables and coordination.
                      Looking at the pics, make sure the ally is perfectly clean & you have removed all oxide before you start.

Have a look at this site:
                      http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

A lot of info and great tips to improve your technique. Plus the guy Jody is pretty funny
                      I spend a fair while with the stainless brush cleaning before I start. But it sometimes seems like I'm starting soup when I get a bit melted. Its very hard to get a nice clean puddle. I'm not sure if it's user error (most likely) or equipment related. Also it's hard to get a handle on when it's about to burn through.

I would love to have a go on a nice a.c. tig set to see if its my kit or me.

Comment

• I was just going to say the same about the welds looking dirty, I can see you've wire brushed them but they still need to be cleaner. I use these aswell at stainless wire wool and acetone

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PC-FLAP-W...sAAOxyRNJScNZW

also, watch this

And if you think your struggling on power, pre-heat the weld first with a blow torch, it'll help a bit
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• What filler rods are you using? And does your machine have an AC balance setting?
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• If you have a "skin" on the weld puddle, that is the oxide layer. It has a higher melting point so the clean metal melts below it. Try using a scotch cloth or some fine sandpaper to prep
                            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks guys maybe my clean isn't clean enough. I'm used to arc rods burning through paint and rust lol.

This is the tig a.c. unit in using.

It uses my old oil filled 350 amp murex arc welder as a power source. Unfortunately the murex only does about 140 or 150 amps at a guess on single phase. I must measure that to be sure. Anyhow as you can see the boc unit has no adjustability just a foot peddle for starting the hf arc.

I have a nice thermal arc dc tig job for other stuff. Maybe I need to invest in some cleaning kit and also a good a.c. tig.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                                I was just going to say the same about the welds looking dirty, I can see you've wire brushed them but they still need to be cleaner. I use these aswell at stainless wire wool and acetone

also, watch this

And if you think your struggling on power, pre-heat the weld first with a blow torch, it'll help a bit
                                Thinks it's 4030 alloy rods. No a.c. balance just as the grid provides it.
                                Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                                What filler rods are you using? And does your machine have an AC balance setting?

Comment

Working...
                                X