No announcement yet.

A little something to keep me busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers Kit. I'm changing everything. Even the pilot bearing!
    Yes, it's normally Monday. I think the spend is like £130 to get free postage. I will be doing another order soon and can get one for you if you like.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Yeah, you really may as well do the lot for piece of mind.

If you'd be kind enough to tack one to your next order that would be grand, drop me a PM and we'll sort out funds.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Will do
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I see you have used rtv for the sump gasket and ive done the same on my Audi sump a few years back bit recently stumbled across something else...

I have just finished putting together an old saab engine which are notorious for leaks and the overwhelming recommendation for gasket sealant was for Stag Wellseal anaerobic sealant.

Never heard of it or used it before and was amazed to see it is liquid and needs to be painted on with a brush. The reason i chose this in the end was to avoid squeeze out of a sealant that goes hard and could end up in the engine.

The stag stuff that may get squeezed out remains liquid and circulates with the oil which is not in the slightest bit problematic.

Its also really sticky stuff so useful for keeping gaskets in place while assembling!

Might be worth considering in the future?

Comment

• Yes. Know about that stuff. My Audi mechanic told me about it. Audi do their own version.
            I have only used a very thin bead of rtv and will let it dry fully before putting any oil in. I also ran my finger around the bead to flat it off. I don't think any should enter the sump. There is nothing on the outside. Fingers crossed. Did the same on the rocker cover.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• This tool has paid for itself today.

I marked the socket so I knew when the correct depth was reached.

My old strap wrench was very handy for torque setting.

Gearbox is all ready to go back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Coming along nicely with some handy hints and tips along the way. What search terms do I need to find the seal picking tool?

Comment

• I got it from FFX. It's a Sealy seal puller.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Sealey...17-Seal-Puller
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Perfect.

Comment

• The oil cooler was in a very poor state and probably doing nothing. Replacements are nla. It’s not as easy as on the S2. You can’t move the oil cooler up as the S6 has a big radiator in the way. Space is limited in the original position and this looks simple but took lots of head scratching to put together.

I was able to re use the mount with a few alterations.

And managed to squeeze a 10 row cooler in the space. I had to move the horns further in and up with a custom bracket. The replacement is slightly bigger than the original.

I need to have a think as to how I will re fit the air guide.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Pilot bearing turned up and fitted.

Flywheel re fitted with new bolts and then with my friends help, gearbox is back in.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• That's all looking excellent Dave, I like the oil cooler mounting solution, looks nice and robust.

I guess you may have to adapt the air guide a little to make it fit but it'll be much better than that crusty old thing you rightly binned.

I'm going to order one of those seal picks myself as it's a tool I lack and for the sake of a tenner I bet it makes extracting old seals a dam sight quicker and easier than fannying about with bent screwdrivers which is how I normally tackle them.

Nice to see the box back in, things should come together pretty quickly now your at this stage.

Comment

• Cheers Kit. I have a few bits to do front end before I move to the rear. I need to clean and 're paint the inner wheel arches and make up new brake pipes. That's the job for today.
                              I think I can save some money here as Ford blue tractor paint is really cheap compared to mixed Nogaro blue and is close enough for under the liners.
                              ​​​​​​
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I always like it once the box goes back in, then on it mounts and the jack removed... Gives one loads more space to start with, nice to see someone do a proper job and replace all renewable components, no one should need to get in there again for a very long time.

Nice money saver with the tractor paint, hell the car's never going to be a concourse example so why not, once the plastic arch liners go back in you won't be able to see much of it anyway.

Making the brake pipes will keep you busy for a while but at least it's not heavy work, I have a few good spare front ABS sensors should you need one.

Comment

Working...
                                X