Black Ur Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some goodies arrived from Germany.
    These are to refresh the meter head and fuel fittings.

So, onto front wishbones. I took some detailed measurements of the ball joints and there position in the wishbones so as to make re fitting easier.
    This is how I remove the bushes. I've tried a few different ways but this seems to work best. Still takes a while mind.
    First, drill out the rubber using a 5mm drill. Use an old cheap one as they easily snap.

After enough rubber has been removed you can prise out the centre metal core.

Then I make a cut into the outer metal ring. It's quite soft metal but be careful not to go through into the housing.

Next bit is to hammer using an old chisel or sturdy screwdriver to fold over the top side of the bush.

A bit from the other side

And then a suitable socket to hammer the remains out.

Some needed a little heat as well.

Now, everything is ready to take to the sandblasting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Brilliant matey keep up the good work, I'm surprised you can remember to take pictures
      ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
      THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Cheers. Sometimes I don't.

So, all the parts went off to the sandblasting place yesterday.
        This morning I decided to drain the fluids.
        Gearbox oil is quite clean but engine oil is very thin and smells of petrol.

The turbo filter was well and truly seized in and took some persuasion to get moving.

It's dates 1986! Fits in with car coming off the road in 91/2.
        It's also quite sludgy. Engine will be getting a good clean and flush.

Next onto the oil cooler. The wire bracket screw had to be drilled out.

Then everything came off No problem.

The oil cooler and pipes are in good condition and will clean up nicely.

Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I had a productive morning in the garage.
          Sump off.

Quite a lot of sludge in the bottom but no signs of white metal.
          The internals look good and clean.

And soon got it clean

And the support bracket got a scrub.

The sump got de grease treatment before a rub down and paint.

Decided I needed more space so the bumper needs to come off. One screw is seized so the headlamps needed to come out for access.
          They are good.

Plenty more to do. Puff puff.

Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Catch 22 this afternoon. Can't get bumper off as one screw rusted solid. Can't get to screw as intercooler in the way. Can't remove intercooler as bumper in the way
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• So I managed to get the intercooler off but had to cut one jubilee clip.

This has given me some access but the screw is really hard and isn't keen on being drilled out. Curse.

Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Frig me!! It isn’t even keen on having its photo taken.
                Seriously Dave, thanks for taking the time to record these steps and post them, this is a great reference thread.
                1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

• I think this turnning out to be your most impressive thread yet! It is a very rare car being such an early model, rust free, stock and low milage, also was this the first year they were RHD? I have 1983 in my head but I could be wrong. Having a pair of good headlights is a major bonus as I imagine replacements are exreamly hard to find.

It's obviously been running really rich if the oil stunk of fuel, the petrol contamination will have acted as an engine flush and won't have done any harm if the car hasn't been driven. Good to see you're sorting it out properly by stripping the sump off etc as that old oil looks awful! I really like the idea of a dedicated turbo oil filter, surprised they ditched that feature.

Is it feasiable to remove the filter housing from the block to properly strip and clean it? As you've gone that far you may as well do it if you can and also check the condition of the turbo oil lines, the return pipe can get a bit contaminated over time the feed pipes can collapse if the rubber has gone soft under the braiding. The turbo itself however should be fine if it's only done 71K, that's nothing for one of those old KKK units, they're very well made and pretty much bullet proof as long as the oil supply is clean.

I haven't done much work on Audi's this old so I'm not really clued up on them, what's the the PCV system like? I'd imagine some of the pipes are showing their age and gone soft.

I know this is turning into an epic amount of work but this car deserves to be recommisioned as well as restored properly, every project turns out to be more work than expected and this one is most certainly worth the time and investment.

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• The car is November 82 and was one of the first rhd cars. Analogy dash.
                    The filter housing is quite clean inside. No plans to remove (atm).
                    All pipes getting removed as I go along.
                    Working on this is not much different to a newer model. Very similar underneath to an S2 Coupe.
                    I'm loving working on it. Like a kid at Christmas with a fantastic new meccano set
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• It's an 82, hell that's early! Do the wippers still work as on a LHD car, so they stop on the right and start by swinging left? I recall having an early MK2 Golf which had wippers that went that way.

Analog dash is a bonus IMO, I like the digital instrument cluster but they're a bit of a pain to keep alive.

Yeah, it's amazing how much is the same or at least very simalar to an S2, the only 10V turbo car I've done much work on was a C3 Avant with an MC2 motor, that even shared a K24 7000 turbo with an S2. Your car should have a larger K26 oil cooled turbo, do you know what the power output is supposed to be? I did know but I can't recall now off the top of my head.

I like the Meccano analogy, that's what I'm going to be like putting my MK2 back to stock, I know swapping engines sounds sadistic but I'm actually really looking forward to getting stuck into that. I spent nearly 20 years driving and working on MK2's so know them very well, no manual required put it that way.

I could be wrong but I have an incling this one is going to be a keeper? I don't think I could part with that car if it were mine.

I like that all alloy intercooler, almost looks aftermarket, it's grubby but looks to be in very good condition under the muck. Much better than todays half plastic crap.

Comment

• Yes, wipers are same as lhd car.And as you say digi dash lovely but expensive to fix.
                        Oil cooled turbo, 200hp.
                        Yes, I'm thinking this one is a keeper too
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• 200BHP is nice, that should shift along very well once you've got it running correctly, considerably more than my MC2 C3, think that was only 160bhp despite having the same turbo as an S2.

Am guessing you're keeping everything stock but do you know if there's anything simple you can do free up a bit more puff out of that K26?

Comment

• So I got some new drills and they weren't touching it either. Then I remembered the Dremmel. A small die grinder did the trick. The heat generated was enough to get it moving.

Little sod.

Then I could remove the bumper.

I've stored that safely in the barn until I'm ready to renovate it.

Onto the pickup.

It's quite grubby.
                            After a wash in the parts washer I have left it to soak in some diesel overnight.

Some more goodies arrived today.
                            A new sump gasket and a leak down test kit. This will come in handy and I won't have to borrow my mates again. They are now quite cheap. I can also use it for pressuring the cylinder whilst doing the valve stem seals.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• No rust worth mentioning lurking behind the bumper. Did the last keeper store it in their spare bedroom?
                              1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                              2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                              2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

• Very little.
                                Apparently the owner who stored it was quite wealthy and had a very big garage with a few cars which included a Bently!
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X