This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello tom

The ingersoll rand compressor you bought? Is it working well with sand blasting? Are u using the spare 60 gallon tank too?

Thanks
    Josh

What grit glass bead too btw?
    I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

• Josh, the compressor is working out very well. I thought that the extra tank would minimize the time that the pump runs, but it didn't make much of a difference so I haven't been using it. I need to get it out of the garage 'cause I need the space.

The glass bead grit size is 60-80 grit. It does a nice job of removing old paint, cleaning up alu brackets, etc.

Comment

• I appreciate the information. I've been building some sandblasting equipment the past few months and it's nice to know there a few people out there experimenting with it before I got myself into it. Your going to save me a few bucks here and there on trial and error.

Thanks
        Josh
        I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

• Now that the engine replacement is done in my S4 I can get on with the RS2. I've gotten some more parts to help complete my suspension build. Thanks to my friends overseas I have acquired RS2 rear brake brackets along with the supporting hardware to mount up the shoes used for the hand brake on the RS2, a la Porsche. Below is what came off the car originally. Pretty cruddy stuff.

A picture of the new stuff. Rear brackets, splash shields, springs, and some nuts and bolts for mounting everything.

A close up of the brackets.

I began by mounting the brackets to the rear cast uprights that I refinished a few months ago. Easy job.

The brake shoes were still in fine shape so I cleaned them up and reused them. The tensioner and adjuster were also salvageable so they were also cleaned and remounted with the new springs.

A little copper paste on the adjuster, which can be barely seen here, to keep it nice and lubricated.

I've got new bearings and have prepared the rear hubs for installation by cleaning and painting them, but they will have to wait because I've loaned my bearing tools to a friend. I'll be mounting them this weekend.

Comment

• During the process of refinishing the rear uprights I removed all the old bushes and made plans to replace them. Today was the day. Just a few pics of my antics.

The bushings I'm replacing are the ones that join the upright to the lower control arms in the rear.

The empty space at the bottom of the upright.

The new Boge bushes. Yes, that is the part number for the RS2.

My "special tool" was made from some pipe fitting that I found under the house. An air grinder removed some material to give it just the right diameter.

Whah la! Easy right!

Take that Anton!

Comment

• Great work, your posts will be a god send for me when I do the same later in the year with the RS2 hubs

What rear calipers are you mounting? stock RS2?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                Great work, your posts will be a god send for me when I do the same later in the year with the RS2 hubs

What rear calipers are you mounting? stock RS2?
                Thank you sir. Glad to hear that.

One of my goals with posting things in detail is to shead some light on the RS2. Hopefully in the future folks will be able to have a look into the inner workings of the RS2. Give me a shout if you hit any sticking points Jamo.

Of course I've got a set of stock RS2 rear calipers. O.E. King remember!? You can see one of them hiding in the background of the pics above.

Comment

• Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                  Thank you sir. Glad to hear that.

One of my goals with posting things in detail is to shead some light on the RS2. Hopefully in the future folks will be able to have a look into the inner workings of the RS2. Give me a shout if you hit any sticking points Jamo.

Of course I've got a set of stock RS2 rear calipers. O.E. King remember!? You can see one of them hiding in the background of the pics above.
                  Seriously good work sir, threads like these are really helpful, have you worked out how your going to do the handbrake cable?

My hubs have been shipped over from germany just awaiting delivery they'll need cleaning up like yours.

I think you have earnt the vacated Mr OEM crown that Fatty once wore

I will be using the Porsche 996 rear Monoblock on mine.

Comment

• I was able to get a pair of RS2 cables from Vagparts in early December so I'll be using those. Over the weekend I realized that the RS2 cables lack the plastic sleeve that is used on the S2 avant/saloon where they go through the rear lower control arms. I found out via the forum and the RS2 workshop manual that there is some sort of clamp that is used to hold the cables in place on top of the control arm. The manual says to drill a hole to mount the clamp (if there isn't already one there).

You are building a coupe right? The coupe and the RS2 share the same floor pan so you should have no problems using the RS2 cables. If you are using the stamped steel control arms you would also be able to mount the cable securing clamp as per the RS2.

Comment

You are building a coupe right? The coupe and the RS2 share the same floor pan so you should have no problems using the RS2 cables. If you are using the stamped steel control arms you would also be able to mount the cable securing clamp as per the RS2.

wash your mouth out, bona fide Avant my car.

Comment

He just wishes it was an rs2 coupe

Comment

• Tom,

Jamo's right regarding this thread.

As soon as I win the lottery I can re-read it for all the part numbers and photos, including the sandblasting equipment,

In the meantime, I read it and am in awe/admiration of your progress and looking forward to future pictorial heavy updates.

Any photos of the body as it is right now, regardless of the fact that it is not in anyway completed?

Kind regards.

Comment

• As I have already stated earlier in your project thread Saltinot, with David...
                            Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 6 March 2009, 13:38. Reason: missing words!
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic
                            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

ooops! I won't make that mistake again!

Once you get the hubs are you planning on using your S2 rear uprights or the RS2 units?

Comment

ooops! I won't make that mistake again!

Once you get the hubs are you planning on using your S2 rear uprights or the RS2 units?
                                I got the RS2 uprights as well with the hubs going to be easier to straight swap them.

Comment

Working...
                                X