No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah i mean Grant says that the RS2 one without the badge is an RS2 turbo - it just uses the k26/27 cold side or whatever it is, modified to to be the same as the RS2.

Will post up some photo's of both.
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• I took that flywheel that you wanted to the cleaners yesterday it will be done by friday if you still want it

Cheers.
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• oh yes!

I got that package yesterday as well

Comment

• Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
          Soon will be.....
          Lies.........

Keep going Andy, its a blody great car!
          Chef

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
            OEM RS2 turbo, the 360 bearing is nice upgrade to have but it's an unknown performance quantity IMO being a hybrid
            It's not like a stock RS2 turbo is unreliable. Or you could sell the others and get a 360° bearing fitted to the original.
            SS

Comment

• RS2 turbo's

Turbo A)

Turbo B)

Turbo C)

Interestingly, the hot and cold side housings, as well as the centre bit all appear to be different between B and C, and have different part numbers.

Comment

• what is the number in the hotside that lies within the flange? Is it #6 in both refurb turbos?

if it were me, i would either learn a bit more from AET what is that hybrid RS2 turbo they have made and what differences from the rs2 turbo, and if better then probably use that.

However i was a bit dissapointed by AET today as i asked about shcwitzer turbos and info i wanted since they advertise them and basically,because i had contacted them in the past and they seem closed minded to garrett turbos, Andy there just redirected me to his 'previous' answer,which was to get a 3076R turbo. Great help!

Anyway, back to topic then...

360 bearing is better,but without knowing if this hybrid is going to be laggier than the rs2 turbo,it may be a risk(if lag is something you dont want)

Comment

• @Sonic - if you are putting in uprated rods at a later date you could hold off on the 3bar version of the RS2 sECU etup... I have one that cooks along nicely on the 2.5bar MAP. Thats going to be in ~450Nm territory so well safe for rods and gearboxes... And well up for ~360bhp and beyond at the top end - where you don't need the 3bar MAP anyway. I haven't dynoed one yet, but I'd be confident enough.

I'm hopeful of having a spare RS2 ECU that I can bring into loaner service very soon so I could have that on the switchable setup to try different options to help you decide.

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Is ~450Nm in the same range as the normal homefry (330ft/lb)?

Comment

• I think that's the upper limits of a homefry, with other complementing mods done. My 3B Coupe dyno'd 285hp/320ftlb on a homefry, though it was custom mapped at MRC since then. I'm betting Paul's chips on a good RS2 setup @ 1.5bar would be a little higher due to better efficiency on a similar setup, so 330ftlbs sounds right to me!
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• So you'd end up with similar torque to the k24, but kicking in later, and legs for the more upper range?

Comment

• I can completely understand what Paul is saying, and that's the route I'll probably go for in the future (RS2 or hybrid at 1.5bar) but for what you've put into it so far Andy, the cost of a 3bar MAP sensor at £150 is minor and you'll end up needing one at some point anyway. IMO you should go for the 3bar RS2 setup now and then you can have it custom mapped in the future post-rebuild, when you can take advantage of the gains. One thing to bear in mind, the 1.5bar version will be alot kinder to your stock clutch.
                          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                            So you'd end up with similar torque to the k24, but kicking in later, and legs for the more upper range?
                            RS2 turbo at same boost as K24 will be slightly more efficient as it is nothing like as stressed... That means colder air and more power (assuming ECU doesn't counter-compensate).

I've not got any dyno plots yet from various RS2 setups rolling around now with 1.5-1.6bar in the mid range, but calcs indicate 450-470Nm territory.

The big benefit from RS2 turbo is the headroom in high rev ranges to run considerably more boost than S2 turbo and with useful efficiency. Thats the nature of the beast - slightly more lag than S2, with more torque in the midrange, but a LOT more oomf at the top. Hence nearly ~100bhp difference between a well mapped S2 and RS2 - but smaller torque gains in the mid range with a boost ceiling of 1.5bar.

As Ross suggests - the stock clutch won't enjoy silly torque levels forever either.
                            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• So its a bit of a half-way mark to the full thing.

Ive got a clutch sat about ready to be fitted, just figured it makes sense to do it when the engine is out.

The plan is to have as close to the 380bhp/600Nm torque as possible from the RS2 setup, its just what i do in the mean-while.

For the sake of a 3 bar MAP sensor i'll need anyway i think id go for the more powerful setup initially, replace the clutch as required but hopefully it would last to the engine rebuild.

At which point, engine rebuild, rods etc, remap to get full potential.

Comment

• I can go that way if you wish - plump for 3bar VMAP up front and can have a safe/low boost setup with 1.5bar ceiling... then the tyre shredding, clutch smoking torque monster in the 'sport' map... Switchable on zee fly, and preserve the 'granny' mode as well - I can customise that one for you when you get an AFR gauge !
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X