No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re the amp wiring, which side of the car did you run your rca cables, power cables etc. There will be sensivity to ignition noise (which is what you are hearing) if the cables are too close together.

You can get ignition suppressors but if the cables are routed correctly, you shouldn't need them.

From memory, I ran my rca and speaker cables down one side of the car (drivers side IIRC) well away from the battery cable that runs (passenger side I think) to the engine. Also in the amp rack build you need to keep the power away from the speaker and rca's as much as possible too.

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Hi Steve

The positive runs from the battery under the rear seats into the amp's, not crossing anything. The negative ran from the amps to a bolt near the rear passenger side light cluster.

The speaker wires take a longer route, and travel over the rear drivers side arch, under the rear seats and then down the centre console and under the dash.

As i say, there is no issue with this route when running from the HU.

I've done this layout intentionally to keep everything separate, the RCA cables are shielded but then do follow the same run as the speaker cables. I hope this is not causing the interference.

The other thing that could make a big difference is that i'm powering 2 amps from 1 power cable that daisy chains between them. Same for the -ve.
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
        With stock springs, for a controlled but supple ride, set the Konis to 1 turn from full soft on the front and half a turn on the back.
        Cheers, will give that a go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
          Hi Steve

The positive runs from the battery under the rear seats into the amp's, not crossing anything. The negative ran from the amps to a bolt near the rear passenger side light cluster.

The speaker wires take a longer route, and travel over the rear drivers side arch, under the rear seats and then down the centre console and under the dash.

As i say, there is no issue with this route when running from the HU.

I've done this layout intentionally to keep everything separate, the RCA cables are shielded but then do follow the same run as the speaker cables. I hope this is causing interference.

The other thing that could make a big difference is that i'm powering 2 amps from 1 power cable that daisy chains between them. Same for the -ve.
          Can't see anything wrong with that, apart from not knowing which OEM cables may also run down the transmission tunnel with your speaker cable and rca's...

Unfortunately these type of problems end up needing trial and error to solve them.

Cheers,

Steve.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

The car is booked in for the head rebuild with rs2 exhast cam, rs2 turbo, wagner EM and rs2 map with injectors if i can get that sorted.
            Is it really happening this time? Will it be ready for Ring-season?
            SS

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
              Is it really happening this time? Will it be ready for Ring-season?

Almost as unlikely as your car being ready for the 'ring, isn't it

I'm hoping to have it all done by the end of feb, which should leave plenty of time for it to bed-in before the annual ring trip. I'm not sure if i can make the dates you've booked for though, will see what i can do

Comment

• About time you pulled your finger out and got this done Andy!! Can't believe I let you have the last sensibly prices head kit available... I want all your spare gaskets at a decent price after - it's my turn then!! Or you can just give me your RS2 Exhaust Cam? I've got a 7A one in return...

Looking forward to seeing the final touches added, performance will finally match the presentation... was our X5 obliteration a motivator to do the RS2 stuff as well? Once I've got the AC pump fitted to the RS2 I can bring laura and the kids for their first ring trip
                AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• I've had the stuff lying about for ages, 2 years since i bought the wagner stuff, so yeah sure is about time!

The problem is that everytime i've come to get it done something else goes **** up on the S2 and the funds have to be re-allocated.

I think i've fixed just about everything that can go wrong now!

I'll see what i've got available when i'm done, i know i'll have an exhaust manifold gasket.

And no, you're not having the RS2 exhaust cam. This is my exhaust cam. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My exhaust cam is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My exhaust cam, without me, is useless. Without my exhaust cam, I am useless.

Comment

• I'm not taking my S2 to the Ring this year. I'm intending to take the new toy.
                    I might take a spare fuel pump this time.

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                    The problem is that everytime i've come to get it done something else goes **** up on the S2 and the funds have to be re-allocated.

Famous last words.
                    SS

Comment

Are you familiar with the concept of a "jinx"?
                      1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                      A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                        Famous last words.
                        I've been tempting fate every year we've been, and i've always overcome it.

Fate - do your worst... again.

Comment

• Ok i've managed to source some ARP head bolts at short notice (thanks Aelred!!), which is one less thing to worry about.

I have all the other gaskets and bolts i need, except the exhaust manifold bolts, which i'm hoping Ross has.

Comment

• I have a bag of RS2 EM studs, used but for about 200 miles & 4 heat cycles so I leave it to you to decide whether it's worth re-using them.

Don't think there's a complete set perhaps a dozen? Think you only need 4 of the shorter onces anyway. S2 studs should be easier to get hold of.
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Looks like the ABY EM studs are 16x M8 x 35, the RS2 16x M8 x 27, of which only 4 are actually required to be shorter.

It's probably quite easy to just buy a load of M8 x 35 studs and use as required.

Comment

• I've got a puddle of water in my passenger footwell

Comment

Working...
                                X