No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice one Greg, good to see you're on the right track at last, now if we could only get Lou's car behaving

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, hopefully running the output tests will help him
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Got a couple of minor bits done today, ordered a replacement ISV which should be here before Wednesday I hope and took the sunroof panel out so I can sort out the trim. Bit of experimenting on getting it all refitted properly and hopefully not break the clips this time
        Greg

Comment

• Can anyone tell the bolt sizes for the snubmount to block?

Ideally the audi part numbers too.
          Greg

Comment

• m10 x 80 - N90130001 2 off
            m8 x 32 N0103324 1 off

there are some spring washers N0122307 for the m10 & N01224110 for the m8...

I hope this helps...

cheers
            Mike

Comment

• Thanks mike, will add them to list of bits to get.
              Greg

Comment

• Spent a couple of hours on the S2 again this afternoon, removed the fixed towbar now as I am unlikely to be towing anything with the S2 these days. So if anyone wants a towbar it will be for sale soon.

Been mucking about trying to get fixings sorted now though as the fixings on the archliner had been broken in the past so need to look at how it all fits back on, reckon will need to use some metal straps to connect up with other fixing points.

Also goto find some more washers as the bumper bolts are too long with the bumper removed for the domed nuts in the boot, going to see if I have any nylocs to use instead but look like a relatively fine pitch.

Order some bolts today ready to do the snub mount also.

Treated myself to new radio as my old Kenwood didnt like playing CD's anymore, plumped for another Kenwood in the end as I wouldnt need to replace any wiring then and decided to try a DAB enabled on. Yet to try on the road but nice having clearer radio reception.
                Greg

Comment

• Made some more progress over the weekend and last week.

Got new oil from OpieOils went for Fuchs Titan GT1 to try and a new filter.

Also got a claybar and spray as im trying to get some marks out of the bonnet where it was laid up for a year while sorting stuff out, unfortunately that didnt do the trick so I need to look at something else to do it. Looks likes dirt ingrained into the paint, or thats what I thought it was.

Also fixed up the sunroof trim that had sagged and fixed the clips that hand snapped and got that back in.

Spent the rest of the weekend treating the rust underneath. Been using the POR15 stuff but found the marine clean and the metal etch stuff to be a bit of a pain so tried a different approach.

I bought a litre of rust converter to use and did the following:
                  1. after chipping away loose rust and metal brushing, then degreasing I coated with the rust converter.
                  2. Once dry a coat of POR-15
                  3. Once that was dry coated with seam sealer where necessary
                  4. Another coat of POR-15
                  5. Next up is coating of stonechip paint.

I havent done the stonechip paint yet as I didnt have a compressor to use over the weekend.

So far I have dealt with rust on rear exhaust mountings and around that area and sorted out the sill seams at the rear where the jacking points have removed the coating over the years.

I also removed the towbar and sealed up where the holes were drilled in the chassis.

My hands look ridiculous now though as I got that POR-15 stuff on them and ive had several comments at work already about why my hands are covered in black stuff.

In between waiting for coats of paint to dry I made some Biscottie
                  And spent quite a bit of time cleaning the interior carpets and removing old stickers etc.

All being well tonight will continue with cleaning the outside a bit more and get the claybar over the rest of the car before polishing up.
                  Greg

Comment

• yes I've been thre with POR15 mate, now always wear gloves and long sleeves
                    So are you all sorted now mate, just some tidying up to do?
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yeah getting there, its mostly odds and sods now.

Will wait until winter, time allowing to take the subframes off and get those re powder coated. In the mean time im seeing to bits of surface rust underneath and redoing the stone chip. Also need to prep the front arches that are getting a little bit of rust bubbling to get the front end re sprayed and new bumper fitted.
                      But as im in middle of selling and purchasing houses im trying not to spend money unecessarily so that may wait for the paint job and just deal with the rust first off.
                      Greg

Comment

• Time for a bit of an update, clocked up just over 1000 miles since the rebuild and made it to ADI 2012 which very pleased with. And last week had a track skills day booked at Silverstone which was one of the best events ive been to, had Barry Salmon as my instructor for the morning who was out on track to provide coaching and improve my rough edges.

Had about 1:30 on track in total during the morning on the Stowe circuite up at Silverstone, should be some professional shots from the day soon which I can post aswell. Was really please with how the new oil cooler held up, oil temps never exceeded 115 deg which is a big improvement over the stock cooler. The track time did highlight the need for stiffer springs with the front heading for the sky on acceleration and rear lifting no end under braking. S2 held up pretty well against much more modern material. The 07 plate RS4 that was there on the straights S2 performance was equally matched and on his tail through corners, though I suspect this was more due to the driver not pushing it as much as the RS4 could take. There was a complete range of cars on track which you'd never think you would see together from a Nissan Note and Toyota Prius up to the other end of the scale with a McClaren MP4-12C, R8, 911 Carrera 4s, Alpina D5 BiTurbo and BMW M3.

Was good value for £185 too. Will be time to pack the S2 up for winter soon and start to tackle some of the under body work that needs doing like subframes and underseal in places which will take a while to get through and try to jostle with the new arrival due next month too. Will post some pics up from the day at Silverstone soon. In the mean time im itching to book another one!
                        Greg

Comment

• Just found a couple of pics from when engine was getting rebuilt

Audi S2 Engine Out by audirs2, on Flickr

Audi S2 engine rebuild by audirs2, on Flickr
                          Greg

Comment

• Just got link for pics from Skills day at Stowe, definitely recommend doing one there.

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/galle..._id=7624993166
                            Greg

Comment

• Finally managed to get the S2 in my own garage this weekend, been a long time coming to get it dry stored over the winter. Also have a little issue with it now too.

When the engine is first started after about 5 or 6 seconds the red warning comes up on the autocheck for about 5 seconds then goes off. Tried it this morning and did it without the engine running, but ignition on. Any ideas?

I also pulled the fault codes and got a 65535 which seems to suggest an earth problem, which could also explain the autocheck if its getting a dud signal. Where are the earth points that that code refers to and i can get around re terminate and test these.

I have tidied up the two on the inlet manifold already and they have low resistance when tested back to ECU connector aswell. Any tips appreciated.

Ta

Greg
                              Greg

Comment

• If it is doing it before you hit the brake pedal it could well be the
                                Mineral hydraulic fluid level, if it is low, when you start the engine the pump
                                takes in fluid and the level drops and then goes back up as the return line
                                sends fluid back to the reservoir. Mine did this a while ago as I have a small
                                leak, topped it up and it was fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X