Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi S1.5 [OEM+] - (10-valve turbo B3 Coupé)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ineora View Post
    Nice work! Been following this on Garaget but as usual i never write anything.. this being on of those few exceptions.
    It's kinda funny actually, I see unusually high 'visit' to 'comment' ratios on all my threads.
    So it seems like a lot of people check up on me without saying much

Comment

• well im folowing this thread and cant wait it street legal

Comment

• Originally posted by rxl View Post
        well im folowing this thread and cant wait it street legal
        Oh man, tell me about it!

Comment

• STOP!

Not only can we start, go forwards AND backwards. But now we can even stop!
          It was a tough nut to crack, but we got there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since i was going to give the rear brakes the same treatment as the fronts. Complete with discs, pads and restoring the calipers.
          So while I was removing the calipers I rounded off a brake hose. No biggie, I'll just switch them to since I'm here, and they were questionable anyway.

'JUST'
          You guys that live in a place where they salt the roads know the drill.
          It ended with basically new everything for the whole rear end

6h later...

Cleaner if nothing else...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But in the end I actually got to do what I came there to do...

Sandblaster action

Eat it Picasso

And this forum should be very aware of Audi's assbackwards handbrake mechanism.
          How do you guys do it to get the spring back in the caliper? Because that was some task...

I'd like a talk with the designer on this one.

A lot of time and new spacial tools later..
          img]http://i.imgur.com/DGMn9SP.jpg[/img]

Finally

Really disgusting shields, but they'll have to do until rear axle restoration.

And that's that!
          Not much else has happened. I got a bunch of packages!

Mostly gaskets, but a few goodies like 034Motorsport engine mounts, 'snub' mount, and strutbearings.
          Also a oddly hard to find gearbox mount all the way from the UK.

Now it'll probably be quiet for a while 'til after the inspection, which should be this week.
          See ya later!

Comment

• This little piece of paper basically says that my concept is acceptable for registration.
            The process is not over yet, but I'm very stoked!

Comment

• 50-day Rush

The next step in the inspection process is 'end inspection' followed by 'registration inspection'.
              And for that to happen the car will need to be in the same state as you would drive it in, and there some work to do before we're there...

There's some gaskets that need changing on the engine, so while it's out again I'm going to 'complete' everything from the windshield and forward,
              And it's a lot of work to be done, so no time to waste here writing forum posts

Whit no time to lose I started right away, engine ready to be pulled the same day as inspection.

Last time???

Disaster area...

Needs some love

With the exception of the throttle wire, this is as far as I'm gonna go in regards to clearing out the enginebay for paint.
              The rest of it isn't worth the bother, I'll just spend some extra time masking.

'New' harness needs tidying up and shortening a bit.

Grinded down the welds, probably acceptable after some filler

Next week I'm planning on tearing down the engine, not all of it, just as much as I need for repairs and paint.
              After that the rest of the week will probably be filled with sanding dust from paint prep...

I also got myself a decent actioncam that I've been trying out a bit. So I might have some interesting vids for next week!

Take it easy!

Comment

• Master of documentation

This week has been a bit of a documentation-disaster...
                I was going to do a video yesterday, but I couldn't get it shorter than 5min, so I said '**** it' I'll just do a normal update.
                But now I realize that I bearly took any pictures at all, so what I'll do is share what I have, then give a few mini-updates through the coming week to get back up to speed.

I've been focusing on the engine this week, and started to remove everything so we can get to all the gaskets and stuff.

Ofc it went to **** within half an hour when I snapped 5/10 studs for the exhaust...

So I went out, bought a stud extractor-kit-thing. Which I immediately also snapped in the first stud.
                The show must go on, right? Went out again and bought a second kit of what I hoped was better quality, yeah not so much...

So yesterday I spent ~4h and like 6 drill bits trying to drill everything out.
                What I'm going to do is drill them out to M10, then use thread-inserts or whatever they're called since I already ordered new M8 studs and nuts.

Manifold cracked, just like all 10vts'. Gonna weld it up but I don't have the tools right now.

Bought new o-rings for the injectors since I new I'd be pulling them, looks like it was needed!

As I said, because of my flip-floppin with the video I don't have much to show today, but I'll take some pics and return during the week

Comment

• I would be tempted to take to a machine shop and get them to extract the studs unless you have the kit
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                    I would be tempted to take to a machine shop and get them to extract the studs unless you have the kit
                    That actually was my first thought when I snapped them. And it would definitely have been the safest thing to do.
                    But by this point 2 holes already have messed up threads (because drilling out the extractors proved to be quiet difficult) so at least those need to be drilled anyway.

But I'm feeling hopeful! When I went to the machine shop to ask about the thread inserts he said it wouldn't be a problem.
                    Absolute worst case would be if the inserts should give me trouble, I can just take them out and use M10 studs if I drill out the holes in the manifold I guess...

Comment

• Good luck with getting them out, I was lucky when I snapped one of mine and a couple of mm of the stud were still protruding from the head
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• I'm probably not explaining it very good, but what I mean is that I'm just gonna drill all of the remaining studs out to M10 and helacoil them back to the correct size.
                        The studs them self wasn't very hard to drill out, that's already done I just don't have any pics right now. I just need to thread them and go get the inserts and we'll be as good as new... Kinda...

SHOULD be ready to mount manifold by the end of the week, if I find way to patch up that crack

Comment

• Winds of change

It feels like I've been kinda fighting an uphill battle for a while. Mostly because everything I touched I broke
                          But now when everything is off, and I've actually started putting things back on I might have a chance of making it in time.

There has been a lot of cleaning/painting going on this week. And most of the smaller parts are ready to re-install.
                          I wanted to put the timing belt back on, time ran out, but atleast now everything is prepped.

Start of the week

Totally done for oil-seal

Some cleaning

New seal. Also new gasket for the oilpump

Slabbed some paint on

As I said, wanted to put the timing belt back on, but instead I've just been watching paint dry...
                          For the best though, need to find a waterpump o-ring first anyway

A bunch of other stuff has also been painted

Touched up the alternator

New ball joints

And some prepwork for next week

Drilled studs...

Grooved out cracked manifold. But I'll leave the welding for someone else.

New studs, and a couple for the downpipe

I've been 'polishing' all aluminum parts, but the intake was particulary satisfying.

Next week I'm focusing on getting the timingbelt back on, then if not mounted, atleast get the manifolds ready to be installed.

It feels like I'm getting closer, which is much needed since my own deadline is the last day of May.
                          And I still have a wiring harness to clean up and an enginebay to paint...

Comment

• Looking good fella, I love this project, one of my favourite's on here as it's more than a little different and I was very close to embarking on much the same task with my old NG engined FWD Coupe.

Though now I've seen how much work it is to do a proper job of it I'm kinda glad I didn't and concentrated on my S2 instead!

Good luck making your self imposed deadline of the end of May, can't see why you won't get it done you've broken the back of the job so to speak...

I still have the block from my old Coupe and it's going to live on.
                            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Thanks for the update, it's good to see I'm not the only one struggling with broken studs and rounded nuts whenever I get to work on the car
                              What's up with the inner wing?

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                                Looking good fella, I love this project, one of my favourite's on here as it's more than a little different and I was very close to embarking on much the same task with my old NG engined FWD Coupe.

Though now I've seen how much work it is to do a proper job of it I'm kinda glad I didn't and concentrated on my S2 instead!

Good luck making your self imposed deadline of the end of May, can't see why you won't get it done you've broken the back of the job so to speak...

I still have the block from my old Coupe and it's going to live on.
                                Thanks man!
                                If I'd known before I started the project how much job it would be, I'd never would've done it.
                                But hey, now I have something that's (probably?) one of a kind.

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                                Thanks for the update, it's good to see I'm not the only one struggling with broken studs and rounded nuts whenever I get to work on the car
                                What's up with the inner wing?
                                Every time i snap a bolt I die a little inside...

The inner wing needed to be modified to make room for the pressure-dampener on the MC2 fuel distributor AND more importantly, so I could fit some turbo piping in between the airbox and intake

Comment

Working...
                                X