Ordered another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I've had the starter in bits and all looks not too bad inside considering its 25 years old and done nearly 190k! The brushes are still good. I think the issue is the small braided wire that runs between the starter and the solenoid. It's nearly all burnt/corroded away meaning that it cant carry the necessary current to turn the motor. I've got another starter coming tomorrow from my local Bosch service centre. While there, I will order a new brush set which comes with the braid wire. Then I should have a good working spare. What confused me (its not difficult) was that it worked on the bench fine!

Something else strange happened before I called it a day. The fan just started all on its own.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• The only time my car has ever failed to start was when that little braided wire burnt through in a puff is smoke. Soldered in a new fat wire and carried on using the motor that's got 226k miles on it! I don't know why I bother having spare starters, they never seem to wear out!

Comment

• She purrs!
          Started first turn of the key.
          Not sure how to upload the video.
          A few issues to sort out. Oil leak at oil cooler, small coolant leak and the fan doesn’t seem to come on when the engine has warmed up. The after run fan and pump is working. The aux oil gauge jumps straight to max on start up. Not sure if that’s correct. Also, the aux oil temp didn’t move above 60. Don’t think that’s correct either.
          Anyway, ran her up to temp and changed the oil. Quite mucky.

Really chuffed even though it took ages!

Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Nice work fella bet ya can't wait for it's first run, oil pressure is at 5 bar on start up then drops to about 2 when at running temp

Comment

• Congratulations Dave
              Your oil will take an age to heat up without any load on the engine I wouldn’t be too worried about that. Test your rad fan switch & relay.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Hallelujah,

Is it perhaps significant that an alternate possible use of your kneeling mat from your photo was instrumental in the final details of this resurrection?
                Last edited by Lago Blue; 23 November 2018, 15:08.

Comment

• Nice one Dave, congrats.

Looking forward to the video if you can.
                  96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Well done mate
                    As said the gauges seem normal.
                    Short out the otter switch and see if the fan cuts in.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Thanks everyone.

Shorted out the fan at the plug end and it runs. So either a poor connection, faulty sender or I didn’t run it long enough to get hot enough to kick the fan in. I’ve cleaned up the contacts and will re try later. There was also an air lock which I think I’ve sorted.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Nice one Dave...! soon be belting up the road...
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

• Woohoo!

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTJ...ature=youtu.be

Sorry its not very long. I had to run back and stop the engine as oil was pissing out of the oil cooler union! At least it shows I have good oil pressure.

I let the oil settle and it was actually quite clean with no visible particles in it at all! Just went a bit brown.

Before I tried to start the engine, I took the plugs out and turned the engine over until I had some oil pressure. Put the plugs back in and then it fired up first turn of the key.
                            Last edited by Tractor Dave; 23 November 2018, 19:19.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Congratulations to you
                              I had similar issue with cooling fan after engine build, mine turned out to be coolant not pressurizing due to faulty expansion tank cap, got a new cap and all was good.

Comment

• Started up quickly! That's a good sign of good things to come.

The oil you dropped out did look pretty brown for a few minutes running, I wouldn't say that is a bad thing - it shows there was dirt / assembly lube and god knows what else in there which now isn't. Once you have done some proper running in miles where the engine has been under varying loads for a couple of hundred miles, I imagine you may see a few more bits but if they don't reappear after changing that oil - press on and enjoy it!
                                ​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X