No announcement yet.

SWB Quattro Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper job on the doors! They are a bit bendy now!

Comment

• Well its been a long time since an update! I haven't done a great deal as i have been busy with some other stuff lately and was ill all of last week so that was another week gone!

Anyway a few pics:

Firstly i was sick and tired of not being able to work all the car so i made a frame on wheels for it to sit on:

Next i spent ages getting the seats sitting right. They needed to be moved further towards the centre of the car. Mostly to get as far away from the door cage bars as possible, and to give space to get the water pipes past on the passenger side. This meant i had to make all new mounts for the insides as they were stopping the seats from moving inwards. No pictures of the these but they are just like the originals but just simple right angles rather than bowing outwards. The other mount the needed bending more so it would still bolt into the same holes. I also drilled extra holes lower down on the mounts to get them as low as possible. They also have a lot of lean on them as i didn't feel that comfortable being so upright. The passenger seat is now done as well but no pics of it. It sits further back that the drivers seat to shift more weight rearwards also give the shoulder pads of the seats a little overlap.

Then i moved onto the windows. I had to cut the rears myself so i ended up ordered a long wheel base kit which meant i only had to cut the length of them down. They are held in with M3 allen headed studs. Seeing as i am not using the standard mirrors and base plates some metal pieces welded in for the mirrors to mount onto and also for the front of the window to bolt up to.

I have also been mounting some random bits at various times

Fuel filters have also arrived after a long wait. That means i can get everything mocked up in the boot and get it mounted at some point

So thats whats been happening. Hoping to get a bit more time spent on it in the next few weeks and start to make some good progress again. Should have the shell away to get blasted just after christmas so that would make it a year from start to the shell work being done.

Comment

• good work hamish

Comment

• Nice..

Looks like youre a real Mr.Fixit Keep up the good work..
          Its gonna be one of a kind when finished!
          Audi RS4+Long sportquattro
          www.hansenmotorsport.no

Comment

• Nice going. I had the same issue with my seats. They are moved more to the center of the car. It's fun to see alot of similarities on our cars Hamish. Keep up the good work.
            RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
            RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
            Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
            High Octane website

Comment

• Good minds think alike!

Comment

• Turned the car onto its side this weekend to attack the underside. I decided that the main hoop template from the roll cage could be put to use to i cut it up and got it thrown over onto its side.

Then i spent all today and yesterday afternoon scraping all the underseal off. Thank god its done!

Half done

Some of the stuff that came off!

Quite a pile by the end!

Then finished!

So theres quite a bit of grinding and welding to do on the underside. Hoping to have it all sorted by next weekend.

Comment

• All I would say that you are not married or you got a very understanding petrolhead wife.
                  Excellent work.
                  Aelred

Comment

• Originally posted by aelred View Post
                    All I would say that you are not married or you got a very understanding petrolhead wife.
                    Excellent work.
                    WHS....

Comment

• That would be not married Aelred! lol

Finally finished the underside. As usual took more work and time that I had thought, but its done and now back the right way up.

The floor sections I welded in after it was shortened have been cut back and ground flat. The sills have been finished with the B pillars being cut back. I also seam welded along the sills edge. Whilst it was on its side and easy to work on I welded in the plates for the harnesses into transmission tunnel and set of captive nuts for the shifter as it was too far forwards in its current position. There was also some plating of various rust spots and cutting back of seams.

Then with it back on its wheels I started to do a few more jobs off the list which is now getting smaller! Eye bolts welded into the seat rail for the crotch strap. And 2 brackets for the master cylinder bracket onto the strut brace.

The car is booked in to get blasted the first 2 weeks in January so I had better get a move on! Anyway onto some pictures:

Comment

• Well finally I have managed to get the list of job knocked down to just the front end, and a general tidy up.

Lots of jobs done, mainly mounting bits and pieces. All the bits and bobs in the boot are sorted with the holes drilled for them. I have made a new foot rest for the passenger side as I wasn't happy with the one I bought, plus i wanted to mount the battery behind it. I have made a foot rest for the drivers side as your heels kept getting caught on original floor.

I cut and tacked the water pipes to take the water from the engine to the rear radiator. I only have pics of the one pipe but the second just follows the same path directly above it. They are currently away being tig welded.

Whilst I had the hole saw out for the water pipes I put a few holes into the inner sills so I can make sure the new sills get a proper coating of wax oil when the car comes back from painting.

Lastly I have completed the firewall with a couple of plates across the arches. So the boot is fully sealed now, should keep the flames and noise of the fuel pumps out of the cabin!

So not much left to do over christmas, then off for blasting the first week in January! Just over a year to complete the shell which I dont think is too bad.

Comment

• Such passionnate work for reviving such a fabulous car! Fantastic!
                          1996 Audi S6, VEMS, S362.

Comment

• Well finally I have finished with the shell. The front end is all done which was the last big job on the list. The front bumper is fastened on with 6 Dzus fasteners so its about 30 seconds work to get it on and off.

Once I had that mounted I made a couple of small slam panels so I could get the lights fitted and the bonnet pins in. There is going to be a removable section to bolt inbetween them so the engine can still come out the front.

The water pipes are now all done and I think they look superb very happy with them. I have given the whole shell a good tidy up so hopefully it will look half decent with some paint on it!

I also got a couple of parts off Santa!

So the floor comes down next saturday and it can escpae again!

Comment

• Got the shell away to the blasters safely today. It was a bit of a mission to get it down, sadly no pictures of that as I was slightly busy at the time!

I am going to see the car on wednesday after it has been blasted before the primer goes on. I am thinking its going to look a different car!

Comment

• very nice.
                                it is a very good project,something i was thinking about doing in the future,but now i think i wont have any time..

Comment

Working...
                                X