No announcement yet.

SWB Quattro Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to remember guys that the sports were made from components and not from "cut and shut" cars as replicas are. The pressings for the some of the body panels and structural components were made in limited numbers but in the same way as any other car would have been made. We cannot say that the front is from an 80 two door because its not, but we do know that the top components of the A pillars are from this car which gives the upright screen and necessitates the use of the correct doors.

The front end of all these audis are made up of the floor pan (in two parts) the transmission tunnel, front bulkhead, waterbox and scuttle panel. The a pillars are in several parts as are the front inner wing sections and chassis rails. The sports inner wings and chassis rails differ from the UR's in the mounting points for various components but as a bare component are the same. As far as I can work out the differences between the front end of the sport body and the UR's are:

1) Top of the a pillars are from an 80 sport
    2) Chassis rails have different ends and component/engine mounts unique to the SQ.
    3) the subframe mounting captive nuts are m12 and not m10
    4) the supports for the bonnet catch and lights are unique
    5) the b pillar pressing are unique (taller)

The major changes are in the rear end of the car and the roof which, though they share the odd component with other cars, are mostly specific to the sport. This is to be expected as this was where the cars were shortened and the additional width requires extended inner arches. One strange item to note though is that the outer c pillar panel is common to all the cars.

Comment

swb

for your info ,the rally sport quattro uses the front end from 80 2 door fact ,if you put the 80 shell next to sport shell you will see , this is why the chassis legs inner flitches floorpans are diff to quattro ,engine mounts are total fabrications and do not bare any resemblence to quattro shell ,there are also differences in the baulkhead, the a and b pillers are std 80 2 door the c piller is wider in width and is wider across the roof by about 100mm the inner c piller cover is a fabricated part ,

Comment

Some updates then, i was going to wait untill the cage was all in but i might as well keep the thread up to date.

Comment

Roll cage templates made and are now at protection and performance being made properly with a mandrel bender.

Mean while the some seam welding took place!

Comment

Good work mate... Are you going to be fitting the dash back in? Does the cage pass through the speaker Holes? How much is protection and performance charging you to copy the cage layout?

My roof is landing on Tuesday all being well so I should be able to crack on with welding mine back together...
            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

I was going to phone protection and performance next week to get a quote on a custom cage, your using stock A pillar aren't you so they will already have the template for front half of cage....

looking good btw
              Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
              1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

The dash will just have to be cut so it fits in, the cage comes first over how good the dash will look. I might not even run the dash yet, but we will see! I am unsure exactly how much the cage will cost but they have given me an estimate. I will pm you when i get it back. I have a good contact for cage tubing if you require some.

I have kept the stock A pillar Puglife.

Seems you will be reaping the rewards of my templates. Perhpas I should ask them to delete it.................

Comment

lol i've drawn up my own cage design and lengths, bends etc but if they have templates for front end it will make my life easier lol. Are you going with any additional bracing, front turrets/rear turrets, dash brace etc. ?
                  Jay - pug_life85@hotmail.com

1986 Audi UR quattro - WORK IN PROGRESS
                  1981 VW Mk1 Golf - "20v Jim, but not as we know it!"

Comment

Yes proper cage. cross in main hoop, cross in rear turrets, front and rear strut brace, dash bar, single cross in roof, crossed door bars, links into the front turrets.

I am sorry if i am being a little bolshy regarding the templates, but i have put a good bit of money and effort into making them and getting them made up. It seems as if you will be just using them off the back of my hard work? I dont mind you using them at all but it would have been nice to have been asked, rather than asuming you can just use mine?

Comment

• The seat rails seem to be taking an age to make! Finally have the nuts welded onto the back of them, just need to get the distance apart sorted out and then the triangle bits can be welded to bars. Then a lick of paint and weld them in!

This week I have been filling the underside of the roof and the roof rails to loose the join. Well that was the plan! But seeing as i am **** at using filler i would have liked it to turn out better! Some of the bits are going to be impossible to get to once the cage is in, hence why did them rather than leave them to the body man. The bits that can be seen once the cage is in can make look nice by the bodyshop, the bits that cant then it doesn't matter

Today after suffering sanding down filler and being underneath all the dust all week i decided i wanted to do something more fun.....................................

Comment

• I found the fact the gromit was holding on for dear life pretty funny, just incase i needed access into the hole to put some wax oil in...........................

So it was a fun day all round! Picked up a 2 by 1 meter piece of 1.2mm steel to make various parts, one being a new boot floor and radiator cowling. Also to make some plates to weld over sections like where the heater used to live.

I phoned the roll cage lads today as well. They were just changing the tooling to move onto 2" tube. So the fella said it would be ready by the weekend or early next week! So i will get down and pick it up next week to start the fitting next weekend!

Comment

• Today saw the final plates welded into the car for the cage. Then as Squib was around decided to make the rear brace and that got welded in as well.

Comment

• Todays work

I am very happy with the way it fits, lots more bars to go in yet though!

Comment

• hey hamish when are you going to modify my cage for me? that looks cool

Comment

• Not even half done yet mate!

Comment

Working...
                                X