Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
    What was the grit of the honing?
    I don't know, never asked the machine shop. Didn't even know about the grit thing when I was doing the build...

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Great Great job!

Comment

• The head is at the machine shop for repair, bought one new exhaust valve for it. Got the head gasket set and new piston rings are on way from US.

About the Tial MVR flow that have been discussed in a couple of other threads... This setup with the quite big Holset hotside had a minimum boost level of 1,6 bar. The WG didn't flow enough to use lower boost. Propably the stock WG flows as well as the Tial..?

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• With stock wastegate and Super40 with 0.70 housing I can hold 0.5-0.6 bar to 6000 RPM easily on the stroker. I think this Tial just sucks.
          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Stock refreshed wastegates works pretty well in the 99% of the engines

Come on Tomas,don't give up!
            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• Got the head from the machine shop today. Also got a crack free spare AAN-head for future use...

Here is how the turbine wheel looks. There is small dents on all blades. Propably go the easiest route with this thing, take off 1-1,5mm of each blade and re-balance the shaft.

Maybe we do something fun on the compressor side also... only maybe...

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Where do you get hold of all the spare AAN head that´s crack free
                1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

• Jea, it's propably a miracle. Have to clean it to be 100% sure, but at least there isn't any big one. I have a few craks on my old head but they don't effect anything.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                    Jea, it's propably a miracle. Have to clean it to be 100% sure, but at least there isn't any big one. I have a few craks on my old head but they don't effect anything.
                    It´s really is... Most common is the cracks at the plug hole, as soon you chip these car they appear...I hope you sort your engine out, you seem to have worst of luck... I think i´ll better change my Iridium plugs too, to my NGK that I used earlier... only changed a month ago, don´t really why...
                    1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
                    2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
                    2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
                    2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                      Here is how the turbine wheel looks. There is small dents on all blades. Propably go the easiest route with this thing, take off 1-1,5mm of each blade and re-balance the shaft.

You can do that, they call that a "rallycross-trim"
                      Lowers inertia to gain spool up, gives you the chance to run higher rotor speeds when compressor tip speed is not met.
                      Downside is max efficiency is lowered, but makes same turbine allowing more flow.

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                      Maybe we do something fun on the compressor side also... only maybe...

Haha, too bad shaft diameter is 1mm bigger and compressor housing of 40-series does not have enough material margin to make it fit.
                      Where do you got this from? Iveco 13l truck i guess...

Comment

• I propably only smoothen down those dents a bit and re-balance the chaft, should be good that wise.

The 1mm shaft difference is not a problem, can made a 7mm ID 8mm OD sleeve to fill the gap, and I have the housing for that wheel also. It's close but the HX40 housing maybe have enough material. But how would a comp wheel of 67/98mm size work with the 65/76mm turbine? Would there be surge problems? This is only a thought, just interesting... Got it quite cheap with the housing. It's from a HX50 MFS. Propably left over from some bigger hybrid build..?

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Stop being a cheap ******* and get a new turbine wheel.

Do it properly
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Yea I know, this is lame. I don't want a chinese chaft, could get one for 100e, but a geniune Holset cost 299e. And this should be perfectly usable after balancing(40e).

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• The HX50MFS compressor wheel is not very good in the 5-cyl, don't ask me why.

What sort of power range are you going for? 500-600hp? 600-700? 700+?

Comment

• By the way, I've missed all the spark plug discussion..

What's the problem with F5DP0R? I've been using them for the duration of my project but have not stumbled across anything? I think Thuppu was using the 1.8T ones? I have had problems with those though on another car. Yeah, they are 1/4 as expensive but I think the originals are well worth it.

Also the NGK BKR EIX plugs are well used and seem to be very reliable.

Comment

Working...
                                X