X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good point.

everyone might want to stick a hx45 on their car oneday and fly to the moon

Comment

• Realised that today was the last day to bring the car for MOT test... It had MOT last winter but it was several months late back then. Guess what was the problem this time that got the MOT guys attention?

Last edited by Thuppu; 2 July 2013, 15:49.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• The catch can filter venting to air?
        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• No Cambelt cover...?

Comment

• too low windscreen washer fluids?

Comment

• Turbo again? Or like me, size of the intercooler?

Comment

• Haha, Lars is closest. This time the MOT guy thought the IC wasn't stock, so have to remove it.

Other wise there was some small things like the rear brakes wasn't in balance, handbrake didn't take anything on the left side, tie rod on the right side had a small play, and the emissions didn't go through, propably because the cat wasn't warm enough. Some small things again.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• So he pulled you for the intercooler, but that huge turbo was OK?
                  sigpic
                  1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                  1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                  1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Did you use the same MOT station or? That is kind of stupid thing to fail a car - non stock looking intercooler. You should have said that If you only knew what else is not stock...
                    S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

• Different MOT station this time, but have used it before. Luckily the IC is easy to remove, needs only a stright 3" pipe to replace it.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• The MOT guy told me that the cooler was not stock and because it wasn't in the regitration papers I'd have to measuer the IC and get a new dynopaper showing it's still inside the frames of legal powerwise. But he let me pass this time. I told him that the car was registered with the 20VT engine equipped with this intercooler but because it wasn't in the papers I should do this.
                        Thought maybe a stock S2 IC would do the job when going to the MOT or just like Thomas says, a 3 inch pipe would do.

Comment

• I think if they ask that from Thomas then it will be a bit difficult, as it makes about 400hp on spring boost

Of course I could do some perverse things to the ignition timing... or maybe we could try and unplug an injector or two?
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Last moment mod, RS4 MAF replacement pipe.

Edit. second pic added.

Last edited by Thuppu; 3 July 2013, 08:43.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• I like you steel work, all ways like to see what you've made ,

1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

• Suggested better catch can location

Originally posted by Billman View Post
                                The catch can filter venting to air?
                                Yeh, I would have failed it on that alone. That whole catch can venting system shown in that photo makes no sense to me. The OE line runs into a tube at the back of the cam cover that goes through the cam cover (does NOT pick up any vapours from the cam cover, that is another vent). Doesn't make sense to catch the vapours at the front of the engine and then run them all the way back to the firewall catch can and then, vent the oil vapours to atmosphere (bad for the environment). A better layout for a catch can would be as shown below. You get the oil out before the cam cover tube and then you can still dump the vapours back into to the OE system and back into the intake system where the vapours are burned in the engine.

More details and photos of the OE PVC system: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22506.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                                X