Clear All

• UrS4boy. Does this explain anything?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
      Haha, Lars is closest. This time the MOT guy thought the IC wasn't stock, so have to remove it.

Other wise there was some small things like the rear brakes wasn't in balance, handbrake didn't take anything on the left side, tie rod on the right side had a small play, and the emissions didn't go through, propably because the cat wasn't warm enough. Some small things again.
      Soooo the IC doesn't look stock but the MOT man thinks

BIG Turbo - seems stock & legit, check
      Massive Downpipe - seems stock & legit, check
      Big fuel line - seems stock & legit, check
      Catch tank - seems stock & legit, check
      Coil coversion - seems stock & legit, check
      Air intake - seems stock & legit, check

WTF

Comment

• Have a look at my engine bay then. 140 hp at 0.4 bar of boost. Does it look even close?

Comment

UrS4boy. Does this explain anything? [/IMG]
          Not really. The cam cover already had a vent. With those holes and NO VACUUM to pull the vapours out (via the cam cover to MAF to turbo hose), you are actually LOADING the underside of the cam cover with vapours FROM the crankcase. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Convince me why I am wrong.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
            Not really. The cam cover already had a vent. With those holes and NO VACUUM to pull the vapours out (via the cam cover to MAF to turbo hose), you are actually LOADING the underside of the cam cover with vapours FROM the crankcase. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Convince me why I am wrong.

Ill agree to that. Ideally you want to have some vacuum in the system by connecting the tank back to the turbo via a cyclone.

Something like this:

Similar holes in the inner cover tube, to the cyclone, to the tank and back to the turbo

Comment

• If the tubing is big enough vacum isn't needed. Only draws more oil with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laaf View Post
                If the tubing is big enough vacum isn't needed. Only draws more oil with it.
                And if your cyclone is good enough then you don't have problem either especially if you return the oil to the sump

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                  Ill agree to that. Ideally you want to have some vacuum in the system by connecting the tank back to the turbo via a cyclone. Something like this (photo). Similar holes in the inner cover tube, to the cyclone, to the tank and back to the turbo
                  I know. Let's put an oil catch tank right above the exhaust down pipe. That doesn't increase any risk of fire if it fails. Oh wait..... (literally)

This is why I have been suggesting using the OE PCV system but putting the catch tank/cyclone away from the turbo and downpipe and then routing the residual vapour back into the OE system. Much safer and neater/cleaner install. (IMO).

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• The big guys tells that one reason for not recylcling the oil vapors is that they increase the knock sensibility. But I'm not a expert so can't say for sure. The whole breather system is done with the feelin that this could be good.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I know. Let's put an oil catch tank right above the exhaust down pipe. That doesn't increase any risk of fire if it fails. Oh wait..... (literally)

This is why I have been suggesting using the OE PCV system but putting the catch tank/cyclone away from the turbo and downpipe and then routing the residual vapour back into the OE system. Much safer and neater/cleaner install. (IMO).

find me a space in my engine bay and i will gladly put it where you suggest. Besides the OEM system simply cannot cope unless modified to use the original internal return pipe as a breather pipe. Been there, seen that, and would never do that again on a non stock engine. The place you propose is perhaps a better forlution for a mapped stock car with high boost on a stock turbo.

Frequent checks or a decent return line would not have any issues. On top of that, the current location will also keep the vapours/oil warm thus not allowing the water/white stuff to be created which you dont want to be returning on the sump.

I would possibly only change my return line from a heavy duty oil samco hose to perhaps a braided line with aeroquip connection to make you happier
                      Last edited by A80Avant; 3 July 2013, 22:27.

Comment

The big guys tells that one reason for not recylcling the oil vapors is that they increase the knock sensibility. But I'm not a expert so can't say for sure. The whole breather system is done with the feelin that this could be good.
                        you are going to be running E85. Your octane rating is going to be nuts. Dont worry if some oil vapours will reduce your rating by 1 octane or so...

Comment

• Yes, of course. But when I did the breather system I was planning to use normal 98 fuel. Now when we gona remove the maf and a bov to atmosphere can be used I have been thinking of to connect the breather to the old bypass inlet on the air intake pipe.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

One reason is that on high power hard pulls there going a ton of oil thru the breather system if you use only the stock vent on the camcover. All oil in your head is trying to get out thru the breather vent int he back of the head. The other day I just speak to one guy here that uses only the breather vent on the block and has a catch can. After one pull the catch can was half full of oil. On the other hand he has a 900+hp engine, but I doupt a couple of quarter of oil in the intake on that level wouldn't be good.

Second thing is that to fully maintance or replace the 20 years old pcv-system would cost a fortune if you use OE-parts only.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• New design SPNT(smart power nano tech) IC. Should be like 200% more efective than a 100x300x600 size china IC, and the size is really compact. You can fit it almost everywhere.

BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Where is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X