Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've had a few somewhat warm days over the last few weeks so I've had the chance to push the old girl out into the sunlight. Since the last update I've dabbled a with the wiring a little more. The driver's door was the center of attention this time. I was also able to install the left side mirror, but I was given a right side mirror gasket so I left it off temporarily until I can get the correct one. No pictures of this, but I can assure you it really did happen.

5 years ago I convinced my wife that it would be a great idea to see the Mille Miglia in Brescia. She said "oh, that's in my favorite parts of Italy. I would love to go as long as we can see some things I want to see". What I didn't tell her was that I had bought a complete RS2 interior from Tots and that I would be getting it home at the end of the trip. So fast forward to the day before our flight home. We drove our Astra to Tots and crammed all the seats and door cards into the loading area. I also picked up my steering rack, ABS pump, and gearbox spacer on this trip. Told Tobi thanks and drove to the a small shipping outfit just outside of Zurich airport. It's a small company that specializes in the shipment of expensive artwork. They custom build all the crates to spec and pack everything with the greatest of care. The crates were made from cabinet grade wood with radiused corners and beveled edges. I repeatedly told them to be very careful with my parts.....they laughed and told me that I had nothing to worry about. They were right.....when the box arrived everything was perfect. I was impressed with the way they had carefully arranged everything inside almost as if it was a large puzzle with all the parts interlocking with each other forming on large cube which they had built a wooden box around. So anyway........

I only unwrapped one Recaro to have a sit, but the rest has remained bubble wrapped until this past weekend. Honestly I don't know how I withstood the urge to unwrap everything once it was stateside. I think I knew it would probably get dirty or damaged if I pierced the life preserving cocoons that shielded them from harm during their long trip from Switzerland. So after five years I decided I couldn't take it any longer.....they had to come out. I unwrapped the driver's seat and treated it to a light cleaning. It didn't need much since it was removed shortly after the car was purchased and replaced with a racing bucket. The rears were also removed at this time to facilitate mounting the roll cage. The only seat that was left in the car was the passenger seat, but it didn't get much use either. All the seats were in unbelievable shape, which is one of the reasons I bought them.

After the cleaning in she went. I had to dig up the little spring and slider thingy that is used to lock the seat in place when sliding it back and forth, but other than that it was a straight forward affair. It's ashamed the flash washes out the deep blue alcantara.

As you can see these are not your run-of-the-mill RS2 seats. They were a special order from Audi by the original owner. I like them because the three colors represent the colors on the RS2 badge. I just happened to be at Tots when the car came in and I took one look and thought that I didn't like them. As I walked around the shop I kept looking at them and then decided that I had to have them. I'm glad I did.

I also unboxed the rears, which I'm hoping to get installed over this coming weekend. More pics soon.

Comment

• Good update! I look forward to your updates like I look forward to the next episode of top gear. I'm guessing the steering wheel and ignition are from the donor b4, not from your box of rs2 bits... looks like a non immobilizer ignition with a crappy locksmith key, we all know that wouldn't suit a build of this magnitude.

Comment

• Thanks Dave. Yep, it's from the donor. How bout that cheesy key?!! I'm going to pick up a new set of locks and an immo ignition cylinder this summer.

Comment

• black carpet....

Hmmm, I think that black carpet looks very much like the one out of my old B4 90 sedan. Oh, thats right it is!!!

Comment

• Those unique seats quite fitting of 'RS2 America' option. Great work as always, Tom.

Comment

• @tom

nice work.

remember you´ll need a locking set from the avant. sedan set will not fit in the hatch from the avant...

best regards and keep the pictures going...

PS: Some glass would be nice...
              S2 Coupe ABY
              S2 Sedan
              S6 20V Avant
              www.audis2.de

Comment

• I love those seats. :drool:

The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Very rare find those seats if that truly is a factory option. Looks great!
                  RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                  RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
                  Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                  High Octane website

Comment

• Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
                    Those unique seats quite fitting of 'RS2 America' option. Great work as always, Tom.
                    Yes, a little stretch of the imagination and they could be red, white and blue..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• It's suddenly starting to look quite complete

Good job
                      1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                      A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

• Those seats are awesome!
                        Never seen those before

Comment

• Tom me old china... might i be so bold as to predict or suggest that a week off sick would see her on the road
                          S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

• Very nice update, i like the seats a lot, you must have been luckey to get those as im sure they wouldn't hang around for long. When i was at Tots a few years ago he had some nice gear there too but nothing as special as that.. Strange though that the customer ordered them like this and then had it replaced with a bucket seat right away.. anyhow, im sure you can make very good use of them...
                            91 S2 coupé - RIP
                            98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• Looks like good progress, those seats look fantastic!
                              96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• One of the most amazing and impressive threads I have read Took a while to read through

Impressed of your accuracy and perseverance considering that RS2-part are'nt that available "over there"
                                /Mike
                                ---------------------------------------
                                S2 RS Avant@355hp "For sale"
                                A4 Avant TDIq@170hp
                                Datsun 240Z@550hp
                                BMW M3 race car@321hp
                                Garage

Comment

Working...
                                X