Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an S2 Coupe - Am I walking into a world of pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIRC to remove the oil pump you need to remove the sump, not the end of the world, but whole lot more work than you probably planned -and if you have poly bushes in the subframe, you have to remove that too to get clearance.

If you decide just to do #2, then you need a special tool to remove in situ (do NOT try to lever it out, you will break the casting!), or a really, really strong set of seal picks. Installation requires pipe of reasonable diameter. It is not that likely #7 is leaking tbh, far more likely just #2.

Get a camshaft oil seal just in case.

Comment

• The bottom cambelt pulley is prone to breaking its keyway, there’s a billet steel version available from James (Terrybullwon on here). The keyway of the upper pulley should be inspected and the pulley replaced if you have any doubts.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• Thanks everything will be checked over, and any damaged parts replaced. Also anyone know where I can get an ABY crank pully bolt from?

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
          Thanks everything will be checked over, and any damaged parts replaced. Also anyone know where I can get an ABY crank pully bolt from?
          You can 're use your old one as long as it's not damaged. It's not a stretch bolt. But do check the condition of the diamond washer. It needs to be rough to touch and not worn smooth.
          the bolt is still available from Audi Tradition but the diamond washer is ebay.de.
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks will take a look at that. What are the vibration dampers like over time/use etc? On newer Audi models they are usually shot after 10 years. The one on my A6 C6 fell apart, and was lucky as the engine was at idle when it failed. I see in etka that pulley & damper are long since obsolete so if they are damaged is there any other options that could fit?

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
              Thanks will take a look at that. What are the vibration dampers like over time/use etc? On newer Audi models they are usually shot after 10 years. The one on my A6 C6 fell apart, and was lucky as the engine was at idle when it failed. I see in etka that pulley & damper are long since obsolete so if they are damaged is there any other options that could fit?
              Minor cracks to be expected. As long as it looks smooth when running, should be ok. The only replacement option I know of is a fluid damper from America. I have one here but haven't fitted it yet.
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Yep... but sit down for the price......

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                  Yep... but sit down for the price......
                  And I got hit with import tax as well
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Nice almost £900 for a replacement. Cheap things to run these S2's... Well I'm hoping with the car having just over 100k, it's not in too bad condition.

My parts bill so far has reached just over £1,300 and I've got at least another 1k of parts I want.

Comment

• It is brutal sometimes, especially if it’s still relied upon as a daily. The first modification for Audi S2 ownership is a water cooled credit card.
                      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
                      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Still, cheaper than depreciation on a new car!

Comment

• I'd just slow down a little, I'd say my car is pristine with nearly all the parts being replaced refurbed or upgraded. It took years to get that way though..

Comment

• Save money by painting the subframes too. I didn't powder coat mine as powder coat can chip easily.
                            I painted them with smoothrite. 3 years on they are still nice and shiny. Admittedly I don't drive it in the rain and they were solid to start with. But I still got a very good finish for a few hours with wire brushes/flap wheels etc ..
                            oh and there's no way you'll keep the car standard, the Porsche monoblock brake conversion is a must imo

Comment

• That's the wrong diagram for the ABY engine. There is a tensioner bolted to the block rather than the earlier type shown there with it on the oil pump
                              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Can someone tell me if I'm missing a pipe of the wastegate? Kind of looks like a vent pipe

wastegate.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X